• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introduction and request of help regarding e-bay

Marc

Dir Sirs,

please allow me to introduce myself to the Gentlemen of this forum. I'm Marc Kitter from Germany and slowly but surely starting to pick up interest in the style of vintage flight jackets. The only leather jacket I've cared for since the last 18 years was the Indy Jacket (especially the one from Raiders) and to claim that I'm an Indy freak would most probably be quite an understatement (one of the two guys who made the hats for Ford and his stuntmen for the latest movie, which all started out with re-inventing THE hat together with my dear friend Steve). Since the Indy jacket is based upon the old designs of the flight jackets of yesteryear, it's probably a natural path to look at the original. So I've been reading a bit on the most common site lately (Aero, Eastman, Goodwear, LW Acmedepot etc.) and registered here to go into a little deeper details.

I also wanted to check some offerings on e-bay and here's where my request for help origins from: I'm not ALLOWED to watch vintage flight jackets due to some bloody government restrictions (probably due to some idiots looking for WWII used nazi junk such as knifes or plates with the swatiska and all that shit). Do you have any advice (i.e. setting the settings of XP to a different country or such) so I could have a look what's out there as well?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

DiamondDave

Marc,

Guten tag... And welcome to our little forum!! This is very difficult thing to do as it is the Laws of Germany that are the problem. I have a friend that is a photographer in Berlin and has the same trouble. Apparently they don't want Germans even looking at that old Nazi junk as it may stir some sort of feelings for the old days or something!! LOL, This I doubt!

The only thing that I would recommend is finding an address to use anywhere else on the continent and set up your ebay identity like that.

Anyway welcome to the forum as well as the HABIT, it isn't a cheap one but can be a lot of fun.

DD

Marc

Thanks for the welcome!

I actually understand why the government don't want German citizens to look at that old nazi junk. No problem with that on my side. What I don't understand though, is why I'm not allowed to look at the British gas mask bags (i.e. the MKVII from WWII - which was used for all Indiana Jones movies) nor the American A-2 flight jackets! I'm not even logged in at e-bay when trying to do so :( What could possibly be LESS nazi then an A-2 flight jacket?

Regards,

Marc

DiamondDave

Marc,

I understand. Part of the problem is where WE list things is simply "off limits" to anyone inside of Germany. (ie Militaria/WWII/uniforms). In the wisdom of eBay they have simply made it impossible for any German citizen using an ISP that originates in Germany to see these areas at all. Not sure that there is a way around it... however if you go on holiday, as my friend just did to Italy, you can see anything that is on there. You can however oft times see these same jackets and such in the Mens Clothing/ Outerwear sections of the ebay site if that helps.

Wish I could be of more help,

DD

Lignemaginot

Several years ago, Ebay prevented people from looking at WWII items depending on the language that their machine was set to - so if your preferred language is German (or French, or Italian), regarldess of where you're located, they would block you form seeing anything in the WWII category. Not sure if it still works that way - but try setting your preferred language on your computer to English and see if it works.

Marc

Thanks Gentlemen.

I've tried changing language and destination to England but e-bay didn't "buy it".

John, have you found original WWII A-2s on German e-bay as well? - Seems to me as if all the good stuff is on e-bay.com...

Regards,

Marc

jacketimp

Marc said:
Dir Sirs,

please allow me to introduce myself to the Gentlemen of this forum. I'm Marc Kitter from Germany and slowly but surely starting to pick up interest in the style of vintage flight jackets. The only leather jacket I've cared for since the last 18 years was the Indy Jacket (especially the one from Raiders) and to claim that I'm an Indy freak would most probably be quite an understatement (one of the two guys who made the hats for Ford and his stuntmen for the latest movie, which all started out with re-inventing THE hat together with my dear friend Steve). Since the Indy jacket is based upon the old designs of the flight jackets of yesteryear, it's probably a natural path to look at the original. So I've been reading a bit on the most common site lately (Aero, Eastman, Goodwear, LW Acmedepot etc.) and registered here to go into a little deeper details.

I also wanted to check some offerings on e-bay and here's where my request for help origins from: I'm not ALLOWED to watch vintage flight jackets due to some bloody government restrictions (probably due to some idiots looking for WWII used nazi junk such as knifes or plates with the swatiska and all that sh*t). Do you have any advice (i.e. setting the settings of XP to a different country or such) so I could have a look what's out there as well?

Thanks in advance,

Marc

i think we have a couple of german members here.....perhaps they can give their take on this issue?

SuinBruin

Hey Marc, good to see you on the forum... it's Matt from California, or "that_dog" on COW. We spoke a few times about hats and some of your troubles with Barons... and, of course, I own an AB Deluxe.

If you do decide to buy a repro, get a Goodwear... it is the Adventurebilt of A-2s, and John is as dedicated to his craft as you are to yours (I know, I've bought stuff from each of you!).

ties70

Marc said:
Thanks Gentlemen.

I've tried changing language and destination to England but e-bay didn't "buy it".

John, have you found original WWII A-2s on German e-bay as well? - Seems to me as if all the good stuff is on e-bay.com...

Regards,

Marc

Hi Marc,

hello from Hamburg. Good to see some other German guys around.

The hint re. the language settings should work. What browser do you use? If it's Safari then I can't help...can't get it to work with US Ebay myself.

Internet Explorer:
Click EXTRAS then INTERNETOPTIONEN, find SPRACHEN at the bottom. Add ENGLISH and delete GERMAN (this does not affect your general language settings!). Click OK, should work now!

Regards,

Ties

asiamiles

Go to http://www.youhide.com . This is a proxy server that hides your local IP address.

I've been told using a "proxy server" is the way to listen to those broadcasts (eg. football commentaries, Test Matches played overseas) that the BBC block out to those of us not in the UK. Might give this a try.

jackthelad

Hi Marc,

perhaps another workaround will help you:

Just right-click the Ebay URL and save it to disk, i.e. to your desktop.
You should be able to open the html-file without any problem, then.

Works fine for me here in Hamburg ;-)

Regards,
Frank