• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting piece of Willis & Geiger

zoomer

This is the Navy's Air Transport Coat (aka "flight deck coat"), spec M-69E. It's the rare, zipper-closure version of the more common M-69F, which buttoned closed like a conventional trenchcoat. Both had waist belts as well (this example seems to be missing its belt).

These are associated with higher-ranking carrier officers, altho they were apparently designed for transport pilots. With the goatskin shell and alpaca liner (not removable), they are extremely heavy and make a strong "statement" that doesn't suit many military jacket fans.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
zoomer said:
This is the Navy's Air Transport Coat (aka "flight deck coat"), spec M-69E.

The one on eBay is a spec. M69-D ... Contract NOS-88862. Willis & Geiger made all the zippered versions (ver. 1), over 3 contracts.

They'll need good luck to make $500 on that example. :)

oose

Just a shot of one in action, not the most flatering look...

26671.jpg

yours stu

handworn

I just saw an M69E in an antique store, which seemed to have been little used and then spent the last 60 years in a climate-controlled vault. Everything on it was perfect, except for the leather-covered buckle of the belt, which did show some wear. Anyone have an idea of value for something like that? It was a Gordon & Ferguson, size 42 in modern terms (since it fit me perfectly).

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
handworn said:
Anyone have an idea of value for something like that?

With their not being suitable for post-war house painting, or child weather protection duties, I would imagine that most of them saw little wear.

What was the store asking?

handworn

I can get it for $450.

Also, I misspoke-- it's the M69F, not the zipper-front model.

deeb7 said:
handworn said:
Anyone have an idea of value for something like that?

With their not being suitable for post-war house painting, or child weather protection duties, I would imagine that most of them saw little wear.

What was the store asking?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
handworn said:
I can get it for $450.

At that price, it's getting up there.

Still okay if you want to offer it a good home, but not as something to make money on.