• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting G1 made by Irvin B. Foster Sportswear Co.

Erwin

Hi folks!

Interesting jacket, looks like the main label with contract no was sewn under to be not visible that it was a contract jacket. Have you seen that kind of G1 with quilted lining made by Irvin B. Foster Sportswear Co? Nice civilian jacket in my opinion, still in very good condition, requires minor work but still has a great hide - [what is expected for any Mil-J-7823A from this manufacturer].

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

source -> https://www.ebay.com/itm/2960733788...55-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

Erwin

Is that on any issue spec tags?
The label is 100% genuine and correct as should be on Mil-7823B - made by Irvin B. Foster Sportswear Co.
71feb2be-1832-4729-9876-2d0b2c8bcf37_1_105_c-jpeg.106155

Indeed folded label is curious, a nice way to hide contract no. Have you seen guys a G1 from the early '60s with that kind of quilted lining? I have an M422a made by WILLIS AND GEIGER with a similar quilted lining but haven't seen that design on any G1 made by a company that produced contract jackets for USN.

bgrant570

I remember seeing this on ebay. I'm no expert, but I figured it was a repro that had a genuine label sewn on. Look at where the knits meet the leather on the front. I've never seen a G1 without a vertical (EDIT: HORIZONTAL) line of stitching that goes straight across, creating a "box" of those lower panels. That, the inner tag, the diamond lining, the USN not punched all the way through...just seems shady to me.

EDIT: HORIZONTAL LINE!!!

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Skyhawk

It doesn't meet the specs of a G-1 in quite a few ways. A sturip (paperclip) style zip puller for one.
I would say at best, it's a civil RE made for the commercial market.

Erwin

I've never seen a G1 without a vertical line of stitching that goes straight across, creating a "box" of those lower panels.
z3.jpg

As far as I know, it is a bit common to see irregularities regarding how these lower leather pieces were cut and sewn - more trapezoidal shape than rectangular. Especially on G1 made by this particular manufacturer [had jackets with these as well] this is a bit common feature in my opinion. I'd like to see repros with hides like on this jacket ;)
z2.jpg

I would say at best, it's a civil RE made for the commercial market.
I believe [based on features] it is a civilian jacket made on a contract leather "shell", which a small label with the cleaning instructions clearly can indicate. Posted this here as an interesting example of G1 oddity.

bgrant570

Both of those examples have that vertical (EDIT: HORIZONTAL) line of stitching I was referring to. It continues from the top of the knit over to the zipper. Like I said, I'm not nearly as well versed on these as most here, but I've never seen a legit contract G1 without it.

EDIT: HORIZONTAL LINE

View attachment 135789
As far as I know, it is a bit common to see irregularities regarding how these lower leather pieces were cut and sewn - more trapezoidal shape than rectangular. Especially on G1 made by this particular manufacturer [had jackets with these as well] this is a bit common feature in my opinion. I'd like to see repros with hides like on this jacket ;)
View attachment 135791

I believe [based on features] it is a civilian jacket made on a contract leather "shell", which a small label with the cleaning instructions clearly can indicate. Posted this here as an interesting example of G1 oddity.

Last edited:

Erwin

Looks like a proper label should look like this below, seeing a folded label with a contract number was interesting.

s-l1600.jpg