• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

India China Division/Wing Air Transport Command

Yardstick

A month or so ago I got back on the patch making horse after a 6 month break and have been mainly focusing on multi-piece CBI patches (my all time favourite style). I thought I'd share a few examples of hump ATC patches, I've recently completed:

As always I've tried to use materials typical of the originals i.e. different types of goat skin - died, painted and sewn with the odd bit of ink or painted detail.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

The last image is of a version of an ICWATC patch found in one of the Maguire books. I did this about 20 years ago before I had the opportunity to research the materials used and didn't have access to the variety of goat skins I now do. This was therefore made of a nice supple cow hide but lacks the grain and consequently character seen in originals.
Image 3.jpg

Yardstick

A few more to added to the collection:

First up a another ICWATC patch from the 1337th Army Air Forces Base Unit (interestingly the perspective of the crate is the flipped - probably an error from when the original was assembled).
IMG_0422.jpg

Next my take on a North African Division ATC patch - painted on custom dyed goatskin.
IMG_0383.jpg

Finally, a version on the North African Ferry Division patch (I did another version of this design a couple of years back using custom dyed goat similar to the above North African Div patch).
IMG_043.jpg

Last edited: