• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In search of: Talon repro M-39 zipper slider

mulceber

Well for original M-39s, I think Dave Sheeley sells sliders. If you want a repro M-42 (almost identical, except double-marked instead of triple-marked), I imagine John Chapman would be willing to sell you one for a reasonable price. Dave might have them as well.

Socalal

Well for original M-39s, I think Dave Sheeley sells sliders. If you want a repro M-42 (almost identical, except double-marked instead of triple-marked), I imagine John Chapman would be willing to sell you one for a reasonable price. Dave might have them as well.
I'll try Dave, M-42 is fine.
Thanks.

Dumpster D

$35 to ship, zip is free...

That sounds pretty good to me. I'd get one of those 5* zippers while the getting's good too, just for good measure, and have it as a backup for down the road when the zipper fails...and that you can count on, if it's a cheap repro one.

In the meantime keep looking for the M-39/M-42 puller, sounds like you're already covered.

Looks like the MASH zippers are about 50 bucks, plus shipping is about 40 bucks on top, that's before you pay someone to install it, and replacing a zipper is more expensive than you might think it would be. At least it's an option.

My concern would be whether the puller is going to match the teeth properly if you're mix-matching?

I don't have the experience to say, although it sounds like it would work theoretically.

Hope it works out!

blackrat2

From experience of a 5* jacket , fitting an original Talon slider, use long nose pliers and open it a smidge as otherwise it will be a struggle to get the slider into the replica zipper 5* use
Also ask Dave if he will sell you the original stoppers at the top of the zipper..if all else fails I think I have the replica slider I took off my 5*

Dumpster D

From a German seller Quartermaster.

Maybe he has reasonable shipping rates.

On the website a lot of nice items but also a lot of crap so beware !

International shipping rate is 35 Euros, The original pulls are about 19.95 Euros, and they look a bit used. The checkout has a minimum of 20 Euros, so you might have to buy something else too.

The Free 5* zip sounds like the better way to reduce cost IMHO.

Dumpster D

I am not sure if it's permitted to post links to ebay auctions? Hope that's ok.

After a little searching online...Found this UK seller. Has both Aluminum, brass zips (about $22USD more or less.) Don't know if the same quality as 5* ??? The price is right.

Couldn't tell you if brass or Aluminum is more durable?

I might actually order one or two of these for myself...Don't know if the length is ok, but I think you can shorten them up if you have to without too much trouble.

Here you go:

flyincowboy

From experience of a 5* jacket , fitting an original Talon slider, use long nose pliers and open it a smidge as otherwise it will be a struggle to get the slider into the replica zipper 5* use
Also ask Dave if he will sell you the original stoppers at the top of the zipper..if all else fails I think I have the replica slider I took off my 5*
It's more easy using a kitchen fork we do that regurlaly at the shop. Simple trick to know .

Southoftheborder

I am not sure if it's permitted to post links to ebay auctions? Hope that's ok.

After a little searching online...Found this UK seller. Has both Aluminum, brass zips (about $22USD more or less.) Don't know if the same quality as 5* ??? The price is right.

Couldn't tell you if brass or Aluminum is more durable?

I might actually order one or two of these for myself...Don't know if the length is ok, but I think you can shorten them up if you have to without too much trouble.

Here you go:

I've seen these but they look like they're from the same place in China and the same rubbish quality as Five Star use. A couple of other sellers have them as well. I've looked for Talon sliders on eBay but they are all in the US with ridiculous postage charges. I don't understand why they can't just put one between a folded piece of paper and drop it into an envelope.