• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In defence of Alpha Industries.

London Cabbie

I like the Ma-1.
Forgiving blousey shape, tough as steel nylon, internal pockets, pen holder, ribbed cuffs and neck, showerproof, drys extremely fast can be worn almost all year round and looks cool, (think 60’s Astronaut)
I have bought many cheap knockoffs and 1 or 2 lucked out. But when it comes to consistent quality, fit, materials, colour and style all in all Alpha make probably the best MODERN version.
Don’t get me wrong, there are great vintage styles out there, BR & JMcCOy (hefty in price and weight) the Bronson 1955 (I have 3) The Greenbrier is puffy and flouncy.
But for an everyday beater my moneys on Alpha. The vintage green (see below) is as near to dammit your going to get ‘The Hunter’ look unless you can find the elusive Joe McCoy version.
Best colour is gun metal which is actually a very dark forest green.

IMG_2684.jpeg

Last edited:

johnwayne

I’ve an Alpha MA1 I’ve had for many years now, bought in mid 90’s I think and always enjoyed wearing it but it’s blue so I always hankered over a green one too - prob McQueens Hunter look as well. I then subsequently got myself a vintage 60’s (name elludes me as I write!) and the difference is very apparent in terms of thickness and weight - it’s almost too warm at times and trimmer, sitting higher on the waist. Nonetheless, they both get equal wear despite the fact MA1’s have become prob the most copied and worn military jacket by every high street retailer but, I know mine are better!!!

MauldinFan

I can't disagree, Alpha wear really well. They're usually nowhere near as accurate looking as some of the better Asian companies, but they feel better.
My Bronson MA-1 is very good as a representation of a 50s MA-1 but I feel like the narrator's younger brother in "A Christmas Story" for how poofy and stiff it feels. I have a few Alphas ones and they all feel much better.

Last edited:

bn1966

Got a few from the ‘Vintage’ series in inaccurate colours but great fit and make good beaters. Picked up a Greenbrier ‘Vintage’ MA-1 too, nice jacket but doesn’t feel as robust. Old ‘Replica‘ series used some great textiles and heavy insulation inc wool. Scored a reasonably priced N-3B Alpha from one of the 90’s Civvy series today…in black..will see what the postman drops off. Have a late 1970’s L-2B ‘Groundcrew’ jacket that’s a summer favourite

Smithy

I had a couple of Alphas, the last one being a vintage series B--15C which was lovely. Only sold it as it was too short in the body for my frame.

Alphas might not be the be all and end all for absolute accuracy but they more than make up for that with durability and comfort.

Lord Flashheart

I've never really had a thing for nylon or the MA-1 style (or patches frankly) but I recently decided to pick up a sale Alpha MA-1 complete with NASA patches just to see for myself. It's too warm to wear it just yet but I was very pleasantly surprised and impressed. I reckon it'll be a very good beater as you say @London Cabbie and just right for nippy winter days getting stuff done.

I'm a bit of a Public Service Broadcasting fan so the NASA patches will be spot on when I'm listening to The Race for Space. I don't think I'm the demographic to leave the Remove before flight tag on though ;)

Flightengineer

I've never really had a thing for nylon or the MA-1 style (or patches frankly) but I recently decided to pick up a sale Alpha MA-1 complete with NASA patches just to see for myself. It's too warm to wear it just yet but I was very pleasantly surprised and impressed. I reckon it'll be a very good beater as you say @London Cabbie and just right for nippy winter days getting stuff done.

I'm a bit of a Public Service Broadcasting fan so the NASA patches will be spot on when I'm listening to The Race for Space. I don't think I'm the demographic to leave the Remove before flight tag on though ;)

I immediately remembered one young technician at my old airline who was a big fan of Alpha jackets and always wore this comical Remove before flight Alpha's tag on his jacket sleeve pocket. One day, his colleagues in the locker room joked and changed it for a real tag from plane (if anyone hasn’t seen it, they quite big). The guy was so tired after his shift that he realized that he had a huge red snake hanging from his sleeve when he almost reached the security control post :D.