• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Impressive Pilot lot on ebay

Peter Graham

Miles_Archer said:
Peter Graham said:
It went to the land of the rising sun, which is quite sad really.

No sadder than A-2s off to Ireland.
Mr Archer, I assume by your remark that you are inferring some sort of racism on my part. You are way off the mark buddy as is Mr S Joe. What is sad is that the collection has left the US, where it belongs. This is surely a reflection on the US economy and the majority of it's citizens lack of awareness and interest in their own history. As for A-2's going to Ireland, or Northern Ireland which is part of the UK as I assume you are referring to me buying A-2's, read your history books regarding the connection between the USAAF and my country.

shanghai joe

Peter Graham said:
Miles_Archer said:
Peter Graham said:

Mr Archer, I assume by your remark that you are inferring some sort of racism on my part. You are way off the mark buddy as is Mr S Joe. What is sad is that the collection has left the US, where it belongs. This is surely a reflection on the US economy and the majority of it's citizens lack of awareness and interest in their own history. As for A-2's going to Ireland, or Northern Ireland which is part of the UK as I assume you are referring to me buying A-2's, read your history books regarding the connection between the USAAF and my country.

Peter thanks for clarifying..........and drop the Mr S joe! :)

I take it that S refers to S'hai and not shite???? :lol:

Peter Graham said:
Miles_Archer said:
Peter Graham said:

Pete, top of the mornin' to ye laddie!
Haha! No racism inferred. In fact I myself am mildly racist, as are we all to one degree or another whether we admit it or not. Merely pointing out that one foreigner stripping America's heritage from her shores is the same as another and it's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black on your part. I've read plenty of history books already, but perhaps you can recommend some on Ireland's connection with the USAAF in the CBI theatre, always love to learn more.
Thanks in advance,
Mr.Archer.

A

Anonymous

Miles_Archer said:
Merely pointing out that one foreigner stripping America's heritage from her shores

Very very thin ice. Today at least Northern Ireland is a part of the UK.
Squadron leader of the RAF that the AVG were sent to support in Dec 41, during the defense of Rangoon, was Irish.
It starts there and gets more interesting... take a look at the AVG roster: http://www.flyingtigersavg.com/camco.htm
The first name on the list is as Irish as it gets...
US heritage... what?
S

TankBuster

Very interesting debates here. I've personally never understood the Japanese interest in USAAF items. The fire bombing campaign over Japan in late 44-45 killed hundreds of thousands, if not more. I just find it a little strange that they want to collect items from the men who carried this out against their ancestors/relatives/parents/ect.
I would love to hear from someone (Japanese or anyone) why this is? I've honestly just been curious on this, and since we have everyone fired up here already, why not stir the pot :twisted:

A

Anonymous

TankBuster said:
Very interesting debates here. I've personally never understood the Japanese interest in USAAF items. The fire bombing campaign over Japan in late 44-45 killed hundreds of thousands, if not more. I just find it a little strange that they want to collect items from the men who carried this out against their ancestors/relatives/parents/ect.
I would love to hear from someone (Japanese or anyone) why this is? I've honestly just been curious on this, and since we have everyone fired up here already, why not stir the pot :twisted:

Same reason the biggest market for Nazi German militaria is the USA. Why would anyone in the US want a Bastogne butcher's SS helmet, or a Kanal jacket, or Luftwaffe awards? Why do American's drool over Luftwaffe aces? What is the fascination here with Nazi German experimentation, secret plans, the Eastern front? Everytime I turn on the history channel it's like watching something produced by Leni Riefenstahl.

Tranquility Base said:
Miles_Archer said:
Merely pointing out that one foreigner stripping America's heritage from her shores

Very very thin ice.
US heritage... what?
S

Ha ha! Spoken like a true ENGLISH collector of American militaria!
You are right, the USAAF has no American Heritage.
Bizzaro love Superman, must destroy him!!!

2+2=5,
Mr.Archer.

TankBuster

Tranquility Base said:
TankBuster said:

Same reason the biggest market for Nazi German militaria is the USA. Why would anyone in the US want a Bastogne butcher's SS helmet, or a Kanal jacket, or Luftwaffe awards? Why do American's drool over Luftwaffe aces? What is the fascination here with Nazi German experimentation, secret plans, the Eastern front? Everytime I turn on the history channel it's like watching something produced by Leni Riefenstahl.

Simon,
I understand that, but don't you think this is different. I mean the main objective of the AAF in the latter part of the war was to kill as many Japanese civilians as possible to pressure the Emporer into surrendering. The war in Germany, as far as the US involvemnet, was basically soldier vs soldier. If Germany was fire bombing US cities, maybe the collecting field would be different?

Peter Graham

Tranquility Base said:
TankBuster said:

Simon, it's not really the same thing. Why do the Germans not have the same interest in the USAAF as the Japanese ? They were bombed to destruction in the same way but I can't recall any auctions being won by Germans.

A

Anonymous

Peter Graham said:
Tranquility Base said:
TankBuster said:

Simon, it's not really the same thing. Why do the Germans not have the same interest in the USAAF as the Japanese ? They were bombed to destruction in the same way but I can't recall any auctions being won by Germans.

Oh, shit, yeah. Sorry. Got confused. Too many beers. It's coz all Japanese are submissive and swallow. It's the logical progression of the Bushido.

A

Anonymous

TankBuster said:
I understand that, but don't you think this is different. I mean the main objective of the AAF in the latter part of the war was to kill as many Japanese civilians as possible to pressure the Emporer into surrendering. The war in Germany, as far as the US involvemnet, was basically soldier vs soldier. If Germany was fire bombing US cities, maybe the collecting field would be different?

Not really. I would hardly call the USAAF/RAF round the clock 24hr bombing of German cities a 'soldier vs soldier' war.

Brits collect German stuff. Britain got bombed (unlike the US) and we don't seem to have much of a problem collecting German stuff.

But maybe there is something really odd about the Japanese. Dunno.

taikonaut

TankBuster said:

Much in the same way I collect Japanese swords when it probably been carried by Jap officers when they invaded my homeland.

shanghai joe

or maybe the war isn't over......think of japan as a great industrail nation, an economic power........sublimation/transference??

just the battleground has shifted..........