• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Im looking for my first B-3 Sheepskin jacket

Zepticon

Hello gentlemen :)
I was refered here from thefedoralounge.com forum, since i made a post there asking about the B-3 replica jackets. I seem to have fallen in love with the standard B-3 jacket from Eastman Leather Company, but i am looking for alternatives to that. The people at the Fedora Lounge have been very helpfull, and given me many tips on manufacturers to check out if i wanted a brand new jacket.

I also got some tips on the possibility to buy a used jacket, but then i seem to be in the wrong season when it comes to quality/price, since the high season for warm outwear is getting close.

So, here i am :)

Ideally i would like a jacket in the $600/£400 range, but if the quality and looks are just right, i might go up on the price, or even consider an RAF Irvine jacket.
What i am looking for is a dark brown jacket, preferaby matted. I think this looks good:
B-3%20ELC%20SHHsmall.jpg

And this Irvin type has the right type of leather for my taste, no shine, just a matt surface:
RAF%201944.png

The less flashy the better. I dont know if the B-3 is ever made in this kind of style, so i am asking if anyone have seen it in a somewhat similar style to what im looking for. I also prefer it to be as correct as possible, in terms of replicating the original.

I havent gotten my meassurements yet, since i have never needed them, but i will get them soon, so i can know exactly what i need. But in the emantime i would love it if anyone could give me some pointers on what jacket i should search for :)

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum. I would recommend a used ELC B-3 or a used RAF Irvin jacket. You can pick them up for around £430-500 on Ebay. Sometimes members advertise them here for a little less as there are no auction fees to pay. You could also post a wanted thread in the Buy/Sell section and check out Eastman's Guest book where people often advertise used ELC jackets. Good luck.

http://www.eastmanleather.com/guest_boo ... 40e64c2cd6

Silver Surfer

ditto, go with a elc b-3 or their irvin. best bang for the buck.....or what ever coin you use. oh, and welcome to the abusement park.

MikeyB-17

Hi, welcome. That matt look isn't particularly common, most jackets during the war were treated with a laquer to waterproof them. You won't often see that suede-like surface unless the jacket is pretty well-worn. Most repros you see will be shiny, although it varies a lot from maker to maker, and often between different incarnations of the same maker's jacket. I would keep an eye out for older Eastmans, or if you're lucky, Real McCoys, although they can be pricey.

A

Anonymous

What size are you after?
I have some B-3s I am considering to sell.

Zepticon

It seems that i am somewhere around 42. In T-shirs i use medium. I am 104cm across the chest, and 46cm between each shoulder. 90cm across the waist.
The eastman size chart say i am "Outside of a regular fitting".

A

Anonymous

You sound like a 42. I think I have 2 originals in that size, but need to check.

A

Anonymous

If the correct size for you was 44 then your chest would measure 44. Otherwise it is pointless to even use these numbers/sizes. On the other hand if their 44 is supposed to be the best fit for someone with chest of 42 then their jackets are mislabeled.

The other thing that is possibly going on, is that rarely people wear their correct size, being used to the S, M, L, XL clothes. So many times, if you give them the correct size, they don't feel comfortable in it (being used to wearing larger perhaps) so they start complaining. On the other hand, by giving them a size larger, they will never feel uncomfortable in it (creating the illusion of the correct size) but the bigger size will look a little bit off in size (bigger). Often shows bad for someone who is after slim fit in the case of A-2s, but then again, they tell you, fit was all over the map in WWII.

B-3 doesn't drape like A-2 and a size larger, perhaps would go unnoticed. Plus you may be able to wear your A-2 also underneath. I think there will be lots of space there.

There's a recent thread by someone who got the right size B-3 (or was it A-2?) from ELC and then changed to a size bigger. Everyone here thought the first one looked great on him, but he thought it was tight in the shoulders. The bigger one as you can expect was more comfortable, but not as flattering. That thread is a good example if you can find it.

Bottom line, ELC know their sizes better so you better listen to them. Always listen to the maker.
If you buy something that you don't feel right they will exchange for bigger/smaller.

foster

I have an ELC size 44 that is in used condition which I am trying to sell. If it is of possible interest please send me a message. It is the dark seal color, standard size 44 from Eastman (it turns out I need a size 46 long and is too short for me).