• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identify a Flight Jacket

AHP91

Hello,

I own a bunch of vintage civilian leather jackets, don’t know much about military issued ones. Recently purchased this cool looking set. Not really sure what to make of it - looks like horsehide as opposed to sheepskin. Zippers on the pants can be dated to around the late 1930s, if I’m not mistaken. Main zipper on jacket is replaced. Anyone know anything about this one? Much appreciated.

80E5EAE5-4008-4629-85DA-39B29B388699.png

90D8842C-829A-472B-BBA1-232F94EE6BB9.png

B71DAD09-C631-4CED-BA80-068CA0978C4F.png

26F3E141-A6D8-4A08-A473-9E449B70334F.png

FEB95BE0-9A1E-4593-8A7E-EEB1268F67F7.png

CE52F3D1-D078-4E61-B489-4562FA6F462A.png

B-Man2

Looks like an American made pre war civilian private purchase flight suit. There were several companies that offered commercial flight suits like this one for private pilots open cockpit flying. Are there any labels or markings on either the jacket or the pants other than “28”?
The zipper looks to be a Talon but a close up photo would help confirm that .

AHP91

Looks like an American made pre war civilian private purchase flight suit. There were several companies that offered commercial flight suits like this one for private pilots open cockpit flying. Are there any labels or markings on either the jacket or the pants other than “28”?
Thanks, yes it is a Talon on the pants. Main zipper is a replaced 50s looking Talon. I don’t have the jacket yet, but the seller did indicate that’s there the same 28 written under the collar. Maybe he missed a label. He also stated there appears to be remaining stitches where a singular B3 type of pocket was originally attached. Would make sense as it seems this pocket was routinely removed.

Here’s another marking on the pants. Does it still appear civilian? Many thanks for the input.

FB906B48-E335-4F46-B9AE-552AC1E1182C.png

B-Man2

Well that last bit of information helps . Since there was a pocket removed this could be a military B2 jacket, but others will have to weigh in here. I’d suggest that you wait until you have the jacket in hand and examine it closely rather than provide limited bits of info . It will make it easier to help you with the ID of the items .

Last edited:

AHP91

Well that last bit of information helps . Since there was a pocket removed is could be a military B2 jacket, but others will have to weigh in here. I’d suggest that you wait until you have the jacket in hand and examine it closely rather than provide limited bits of info . It will make it easier to help you with the ID of the items .
Thanks, will do. But my limited understanding is that the B2 had some unique characteristics like zipped sleeves, main belt in front. Were there variations in the design? Just a general question. Thanks

B-Man2

Thanks, will do. But my limited understanding is that the B2 had some unique characteristics like zipped sleeves, main belt in front. Were there variations in the design? Just a general question. Thanks
True but then it could also be a B-1 jacket, neither of which I’m really familiar with. Hopefully others will come along who have more knowledge about these jackets than I do.

Chandler

Strange how that lower seam, toward the bottom of the jacket, doesn't line up across the zip enclosure. Maybe a result of bad stitching when replacing the zipper?

Micawber

I like it, is it fleece inside? No labels or tags anywhere on either garment? B-1 - hmmm, I thought they had an Irvin type front belt?

Kermit3D

I would have said the same thing. Looks like a civilian two-piece flight suit.

Silver Surfer

now, that's a head scratcher if ever there was one. on the one hand the pants zipper looks to be an original 1942 talon [could be replaced], and the over all design of the jacket says b-3. however, I have had 1930s flight gear that was made of hh, with a shearling liner. that type of construction was discontinued by the late 1930s. the reinforced [with metal rings around the holes] side belts is odd for any of the above. civy would be my guess.

AHP91

now, that's a head scratcher if ever there was one. on the one hand the pants zipper looks to be an original 1942 talon [could be replaced], and the over all design of the jacket says b-3. however, I have had 1930s flight gear that was made of hh, with a shearling liner. that type of construction was discontinued by the late 1930s. the reinforced [with metal rings around the holes] side belts is odd for any of the above. civy would be my guess.
Thanks, does the presence of a removed pocket factor in at all? Here’s a photo where some faint stitching can be seen. Did they do this on civilian jackets as well?
44E0B60C-2D72-4D83-A28E-E312D1938769.png

AHP91

Replaced main zip on jacket
CC505D6C-03F9-4D76-BEAB-3041FCD434B6.png

Zip on pants - mid to late 30s

A2D40062-4D71-419C-BC1A-18FEBBB61438.png