• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

identified back paint

dujardin

helloooooooooo

making some searches, i remember something and made junction between the two.

in the splendid book ''american flight jackets'', page 207; there is a splendid photo of a jacket i will call ''black widows''.
the author say he have no idea on the unit , nor the pilot.

in one of my file, i remember that some month ago i found a splendid photo of this jacket.
the guy is Leroy Miozzi of the 6th NFS

see photos below.

6NFS.jpg

6nfsLeroyMiozzi.png

byeeeeeeeeeeee
marcel

better duck

That's a neat feat, Marcel! send a note to the author of the book, I'd say, an interesting contact may start there....

dujardin

better duck said:
That's a neat feat, Marcel! send a note to the author of the book, I'd say, an interesting contact may start there....

hello Peter,

no a bad idea but how to proceed ?????????????????????

i'm just an enthousiast, not an historian :lol: :lol: :lol:
someone knows how to contact mister Maguire personnaly, by mail, by letter, by ????????????????

marcel

better duck

dujardin said:
i don't understand that Maguire don't search deeper.......l
Well, just a thought on that: Ours is a subject that one can broaden and deepen forever. When you are writing a book, there's only so much time and effort you can spend on it, before the publisher either says "Hello, there is a deadline here, where is your stuff?" or "this book is getting way to thick and cumbersome, let's cut some stuff out of it."

And then: the internet and the search possibilities grow each day. Maybe when Maguire was collecting and collating his material it wasn't so easily found as it is now, litterally from your armchair, under your fingertips.

JDAM

Well done, great research. But I don't think it's the same jacket. There seem to be subtle differences in the shape of the shield and location of spider plus the girl's head looks a little different? Perhaps many members of the 6th NFS had this artwork on their A-2.

dmar836

Marcel,
I like Maguire's books. I think his book "Gear Up!" inspired my collecting more than anything else. That said, I do not believe that this is the same painting as seen in the period photo. Proportionately, the plane, the shield tips, the cape, just don't line up. These variations can occur from age and shrinking, an unnoticed wrinkle, or to an overpaint of lines but not to that extent. There doesn't appear to be any cape showing between the woman's legs in the period photo. Perhaps it is from another crewman as it certainly looks old and they were all hand done.
Also, as I posted before, the "El Lobo" painted jacket similarly showcased in "Gear Up!" is not the same painting either. Some do not look at where lines intersect, etc. but it's one of the first things I look at. The new looking paint on El Lobo is a clue but, even so, it's a close one for sure.
I do not think he or Conway intend to deceive and there are no doubt stories behind all of the jackets shown - they are just different.
When those books were written, the internet was certainly not full of AAF info like it is today.
Great find BTW!
Dave

dujardin

want to remember where i found the photo, i stay searching a lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time
but i found

in this book - page 67
P-61.png

the photo (with legend)
leroy1.png

Leroy was the artist of this unit, no doubt he realise several jackets with this splendid back

byeeeeee
marcel

EMBLEMHUNTER

The color jacket photo and the black and white photo are "similar" but ther are some deffinate differences if you really compare the two , most likely there was more than one jacket made with this art on it , the P-61 nose is closer to the elbow bend on one than the other and as mentioned the lady;s face is quite a bit different if you again comapre them.

Even so it is very good to have the "color" example to comapre as they are really hard to find , greta work Marcel !!!!!
Johnny