• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID this General and his Jacket

a2jacketpatches

There's a guy on the USMF with these photos and a painted 14th AF patch stating it's Claire Chennault and Flying Tigers. I'm thinking this is a B-10, and at that point in time Chennault was wearing two stars and his hair was darker. It's a 14th AF patch for sure and the other pics are of AAF Bombers and some P-38's

Not Chennault, Right? but who is it? and is that a Japanese or Chinese officer with him? I tried to explain the 14th AF patch and said that I didn't 'think" it was Chennault, but he seems pretty sure.
flyingtigerpatch006.jpg

flyingtigerpatch017.jpg

unclegrumpy

Those are Nationalist Chinese troops, and it looks like a B-10 to me too. It is not Chennault, but I don't know who it is.

A

Anonymous

Chennault is different.

Has to be the second guy from the right with the A-2 but I don't know his name

bh17a.jpg

Chandler

PLATON said:

I dunno, a general that hopped from the Mediterranean Campaign to the CBI (or vice-versa) would be pretty rare. Doolittle did it from Pacific to ETO, but this isn't Doolittle either.

unclegrumpy

I agree with Chandler. Those guys are all MTO/ETO Infantry Generals....the CBI guy might be Infantry too, but my hunch is he is AAF.

watchmanjimg

I've been looking around a little and my best guess for the officer in the B-10 is Albert C. Wedemeyer. The guy in the A-2 is someone different. At first I was thinking Lucian Truscott due to his penchant for leather jackets, but this seems unlikely as Truscott would have held a higher rank by then.

saunders

PLATON said:
Chennault is different.

bh17a.jpg

Negative on that ID, but agreed Chennault isn't in either photo.

This photo was taken in S. France in the fall of 1944 for a medal-awarding ceremony among personnel of VI Corps, which was part of Gen. Alexander Patch's 7th Army. I cannot ID the brigadier general in the A-2 jacket or the one in the tanker jacket next in line, but the A-2-clad general is a senior VI corps staff officer, and the other is likely of the same status and unit. The other officers are divisional commanders ID'd as follows: Maj. Gen. John Dahlquist 36th Div. "Texas" , Maj. Gen. Wm. Eagles 45th Div. Oklahoma "Thunderbird", and Maj. Gen. John "Iron Mike" O'Daniel 3rd Div. "Rock o' the Marne." Though it's difficult to say for sure, all appear to have just been awarded a Bronze Star medal, the ribbon of which is pinned to the left breast of their jackets.

It's interesting to note that Gen. O'Daniel is wearing a rare USAAF B-13 flying jacket and NOT a cut-down officer blouse or "Ike Jacket." The array of "issue" boots and private-purchase boots is also interesting, though the Parachutist Boots worn by Gen. Dahlquist wouldn't be issue to an infantry officer, nor would be the Brit. Motorcyclist Boots worn by the A-2-wearing general.

saunders

Chandler said:
PLATON said:

I dunno, a general that hopped from the Mediterranean Campaign to the CBI (or vice-versa) would be pretty rare. Doolittle did it from Pacific to ETO, but this isn't Doolittle either.

You are more right than wrong, but assignments to different theaters weren't as rare as some would believe. Reassignment was usually based on need and who fit where best; at least in theory it worked that way (it was also a vehicle to get rid of those whom the CO didn't like or those who didn't fit in). Citing but a few, Col. Paul Tibbets and Col. Robert Morgan made significant names for themselves flying B-17s in the 8th AF, yet ended up commanding B-29s in the Pacific, while Maj. Gen. J. L. "Lightning Joe" Collins performed well as CO of the 25th Div. on Guadalcanal and New Georgia 1942-43, before taking over as the CO of VII Corps in the ETO in 1944.

unclegrumpy

Persimmon said:
Looked at his profile and if you scroll down you come to a picture of him in uniform.

Is it really the same guy ??
I don't think it is....Bissell has too many stars and I don't think looks much like the General in the photo.

watchmanjimg

Ties, the facial resemblance is there but my only question is whether Covell began his CBI tour as a Brigadier General. Note that in the picture you referenced he's a Major General.

Persimmon

ties70 said:
My bet would be that it is ...

William E. R. Covell, CG of Services of supply

Check out this news article: I think that there is a strong resemblance, especially the cheeks and the chin...missing of significant earlobes...

http://cbi-theater-1.home.comcast.net/~ ... 51045.html

covell.jpg

Best regards

Ties

Don't see that one.
The hair is certainly different (colour not just the cut) but the sharp chin to a pronunced double chin is way off.

Come on mystery man who are you ?

Chandler

Persimmon said:
The hair is certainly different (colour not just the cut) but the sharp chin to a pronunced double chin is way off.

I'm with you on the hair, but that could be a result of many factors with the photo, but I think the profile of both men is pretty similar -- don't forget that the head is in different positions in each image, and both men have that extra little dimple-curve past their smile lines. Nose shape is also darn close (if not fuzzy from the second reproduction).