• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ID Original Patches?

a2jacketpatches

I found the VBP-25 Navy patch at an estate sale this morning and there's some info on the web, the other two I've had for a while but could never ID. Any insight would be helpful.

SquadronPatches004.jpg

SquadronPatches005.jpg

SquadronPatches006.jpg

Sleepy004.jpg

Sleepy013.jpg

Sleepy011.jpg

unclegrumpy

The top patch is the shoulder insignia for WW I Marine Aviation units, however it is almost certainly a reproduction. I have seen the second patch before, but can't remember what it is without looking.

205645_142002095869116_141990815870244_254043_8064951_s.jpg

Your new Navy find is a super patch...congratulations on the great score!

a2jacketpatches

I put the USMC patch up on another forum without reply all day. I'm hoping to get some more input, if it's bogus, it's bogus. But I'd like to hear why, been looking at some WW1 insignia, a lot of it looks like it was stitched by feet, very crude but methodical. I could do a much better job.

unclegrumpy

Too hard to really explain why your patch is a reproduction, but I am sure it is. I could not find a picture of an original of that exact patch, but below is an example of a nice original WW I USMC patch that is made the way yours should be. I have seen a few original WW I Marine Aviation patches on uniforms over the years. They have been layered thin wool felt with nicely hand embroidered details....probably either French or German made right after the war.

There are some excellent fakes out there made from old original material too....so nothing is easy here.

Hope that helps!

post-3422-1221419891.jpg