• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need info about this Cooper please...............

JOHNO

I've searched for information but I have'nt had much luck, I appreciate any help.

My Wife decided to surprise me with the Cooper A2, it should be here in a couple more days but she sent me a few pics. I'm wondering about when this jacket may have been made, everything I've found on the Cooper A2 has been on the "Modernized" version.

I know the Cooper A2 is not a favored jacket of the descriminating A2 enthusiast but I would like to see an honest assessment of this jacket by the A2 educated.

Thanks for your help and comments.

coopera2.jpg

coopera22.jpg

coopera23.jpg

coopera24.jpg

coopera25.jpg

coopera26.jpg

coopera27.jpg

coopera28.jpg

coopera21-1.jpg

RCSignals

It looks to be in nice condition. I think it is the same as the ones for military contract, but from the white label that one isn't. ( CSN instead of NSN for instance) Manufacture likely 1986 or later.

A

Anonymous

It's a great starter jacket. Coopers are light weight and can be worn a little longer into the spring season. I have had several, and use them to promote my art work, as I would never patch out an ELC, or Real McCoy's. The basic, and I repeat, basic difference is the addition of side panels on Coopers, along with non spec label, neck hanger, and neck hook. I will not go into fit, stitches per inch, etc etc etc. Cooper is a good basic toss around A-2 style jacket you don't have to worry about damage, or loss.

A

Anonymous

The first A-2 jacket I ever saw and wanted to buy was a Cooper. Same as the one in your photos. Long before the internet somewhere in the late 80s from a photo advertisement in an American magazine. I cut the page and took it with me on a trip to the US hoping to find it. Never did, I still have that page.

I agree with what has been said about the side panels.

It's color is nice and believe this Cooper jacket has earned its place in history one way or another.
I wonder how many thousands/millions they sold in the 80s.

RCSignals

They were the first contractor for the return of the A-2 to the Airforce in the early '80s. The whole story should come up in an Internet search.

wheat1479

My first leather jacket I bought was in the 80s.A cooper A-2.It was perfect in the chest and sleeves,but too big in the shoulders and neck.A smaller size didnt help.I liked it,though.

Clark J

I had one,,,replace the knits to wool and got the sleeves tapered...turned out to be a nice every day wearer.

Jason

I was about to suggest late 80s to around 2000 manufacture, but then spotted the side panels. That suggests to me post year 2000 manufacture.

Coopers, before year 2000 seem to come in three versions:
1) the genuine issue item, most often labelled Saddlery, complete with velcro patches
2) civillian version of the above, often with a darker dye used on the leather.
3) very budget civillian version, with lower spec knits, zips, hardware, bloated cut... the only nice thing I have to say about this version is its lining is a more pleasing tobacco brown colour.

I lost track of what they did after that & when. Addittions of side panels as on yours, and hand warmer pockets, inner storage pockets, velcro patches on non-issue versions to feign 'legitimacy' are all things that have appeared on Coopers over the ensuing time.

Yours looks to have the 'good' zip, throat hook & knits, a darker dyed leather and non bloated cut... definitely one of the more desirable newer Coopers. Hope you enjoy wearing yours as much as I've enjoyed wearing mine over the years.

RCSignals

The original issue ones staring from 1984 or 1986, at least some of them, also had the side panels. I had one.

Cooper had a few different 'civilian' market A-2s, but the one above is the issue version except for the labeling and patch velcro.

JOHNO

Thanks so much for the replies!

The jacket came in today and I was surprised at how light it was compared to my old G1. This one fits me great, and seems to have the classic cut as opposed to the blouse cut. I'm an avid history buff and Cold War era weapons collector but I've been interested in WWII era aircraft my whole life. My Dad is USAF retired and my Uncle was a door gunner on a B-24 and spent 3 years in a POW camp in Germany.

I just happened upon this forum yesterday, I'll definately be spending a lot of time here and I can see an Eastman A2 in my future. ;)

Jason

RCSignals said:
The original issue ones staring from 1984 or 1986, at least some of them, also had the side panels. I had one.

Thanks for pointing that out, you learn something new everyday. I thought that was only a recent modification to the spec, something that didn't appear until after the '88 issue spec.

RCSignals

There doesn't seem to be real consistency with it which is odd. I read here as well in another thread of early issue ones that did not have the side panels mixed with some that did, so there must have been a mix.
From what I understand the Coopers were all manufactured by Schott (although the 'modern' pattern is attributed to Neil Cooper), as are the Avirex and now Cockpit (as well as USWings) made by Schott. Believable as the patterns, pocket flap shapes etc, are pretty much identical.

Atticus

The first issued A-2 since WWII was the 1988 Saddlery. Of course, Saddlery was a Cooper brand.

I have never seen an issued Cooper A-2, that is, an A-2 issued under the Cooper Brand. Some people have insisted to me that such an animal existed, but I've yet to see one. What would resolve the issue in my mind would be a photo of a Cooper (not Saddlery) A-2 with a tag bearing a proper DLA or SPO number.

AF

RCSignals

You are correct Atticus but the 'Saddlery' jackets as I recall also are marked in small print Cooper.
But there are no 'issue' jackets' that I know of with that orange Cooper label.

JOHNO

The Cooper I just recieved seems really light weight, are the more period correct jackets heavier? The only differences I imagine could be the weight of the leather?

A

Anonymous

QUESTION, I just puchased a seal brown Cooper. The knits are much more substantial, the goat feels like 2.5oz or twice the weight of newer models, the collar has less point, no side panels, correct silver neck hook. a great jacket. It has the ugly orange spec label, the cut is narrower in the shoulder, and the cotton liner is a darker tobacco brown. Idea's?

RCSignals

Don't know chitchat, other than as i said before there really isn't much consistency in the pattern regarding those details.

I saw one as you describe on eBay today. Maybe its the one you just bought.

Size doesn't seen to have much to do with the jackets having the side panels or not.

Does it have the typical Cooper pocket flap shape?

A

Anonymous

No, and the pocket is a little larger. I will post up pics tomorrow.

Marv

My first A2 was a Cooper bought off ebay and when compared to the Saddlery version it is almost indentical from what I remember minus the velcro patches.
It has the same colour goatskin, thick purple hue knits, the IDEAL zipper, same lining colour, does have the side panels and of course it has the huge orange Cooper label etc.
When I got it back in 2005, I emailed Neil Cooper and from the description of that jacket that I gave him he seemed to think it was dated from around 1988 or so.

It's a nice jacket and at the time I had it patched up with the 334th fighter squadron, name tag and 8th AAF insignia.......since then it's been in my wardrobe as I progressed onto Eastman's etc. but I haven't brought myself to sell it on as I have with other Eastman A2s that I had previously owned.

No matter what people say or think about the Cooper A2, I have has always thought it was a good quality, well made, durable A2 and perfect as a starter jacket in my opinion.

enjoy the A2 while you can as you will soon want more............ :twisted:

JOHNO

I'm on my way Marv, I have an Aero on the way and I have my sights set on an Eastman. ;)

The Cooper is filling a niche, its been ideal for the cool mornings and evenings we've had lately.