• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need assistance with a squadron patch

JOHNO

I'd like to find a squadron patch from my Uncles outfit, he was with the 456th BG, 746th squadron. I would appreciate any assistance. Heres a link to the info we've found concerning their last mission.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10776

unclegrumpy

Below is an image of the patch, but a modern reproduction.

I have seen originals of this patch. What I remember, and I am pretty sure of it, is seeing this patch on a jacket. The 746th patch was done in Italian tooled leather. The jacket had an embossed name tag with a wing below it, and an American flag and 15 AF patch also in tooled leather on each sleeve.

Hopefully someone has a better picture of an original so you can have one made. A couple of the guys on the Forum make Italian tooled patches and do a very nice job at it.

images

unclegrumpy

Yep, that is it!

Thanks....it is nice to know that my brain has not totally failed me for recalling the more important things in life. :D

shedonwanna

Vcruiser said:
Keep in mind that shendonwanna is well known for making patches as well.
Van

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c169/ ... r/patches/
Thanks Van,
I like Roberto's incised work but I will be making one of these just for practice. I also have some pieced patches I want to finish for this winters jacket season (yes George, they are your patches). You all will also see some of my yearly clear out patches on eBay in the next week or so. These patches are variations of work completed for clients and work I do for practice. My habit is to do some painting to "warm up" before working on a patch or canvas.

unclegrumpy

shedonwanna said:
Here is the 456th Group patch with a rocker where a name or the squadron was usually written...

Very nice! Another option on the rocker might be "Heavy Bombardment Group"

With the Squadron and Group patch being rendered in such a similar fashion, I would suspect for John's purposes, that one or the other would be worn, but not both. In his case, I would go with the Squadron.

It is interesting to look at what was actually worn. Sometimes you only see a unit wearing a Squadron patch, sometimes only the Group patch, and sometimes both.....though most of the time nothing.

JOHNO

I'll definately go with the squadron patch.

shedonwanna recommended I contact Roberto and I have an e-mail in to him. I've also exchanged PMs with Sean, with so many very talented artisans on the board its a tough call on who to choose!

JOHNO

I'd like some opinions,

Does the placement look correct?

Would I be better off without the name tag?

003-62.jpg