• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have to give ELC/HPA some props on this one.

C.J.

I knew I would be miserable waiting four months for my GW to arrive, so I bit the bullet and ordered an ELC RW 1401-P. I've heard good and bad about both, ELC's 1401 and the RW cut. I have to tell you, I'm thrilled with both. Plus, the color of this russet is just perfect to my eyes and exactly how I would imagine it looked back then. Now, I see why so many guys are die hard RW fans. I love the drape and fit of this cut. It's a little tighter in the shoulders than some other contracts, but it just has a look all it's own. My thanks to Jeff (rotenhahn) for the many PM's he spent with me. He taught me a lot and got me to give both GW and a RW a try.

As usual, Charles and Ginna were a joy to talk to and deal with. This 1401 is of the "warhorse" hide and it really is a difference from the Monarch upon initial inspection. It has a beautiful richness to the color. It's not shiny, but has a deep, rich sheen to it that's accented by the wonderful, sporadic grain. The finish on this makes the leather quite pliable compared to other ELC's I've had. The graining is a very pleasant surprise. It's very grainy in certain area's, especially the lower, left front panel and left sleeve. It's rather smooth in others, but far from lifeless, as some other repros can appear. The The pockets seem especially smooth as does the underside of the right sleeve.

Here's a few quick pic's I hope you guys enjoy. I know this isn't as accurate as other repros. But, the color, fit and grain are going to keep a smile plastered to my face for the entire four month wait for my Aero from JC to arrive. As for the RW look and cut, I'm hooked. It's got a look all it's own, that really works for me.

Once again, thanks to all for all the help along the way with this very expensive and addicting hobby. Hell, I already want a B-10 and an Irvin :lol:

Front
246.jpg

Back
250.jpg

Tag
254.jpg

Left sleeve (nicest grain on jacket that wrinkles very nice when worn)
247.jpg

252.jpg

249.jpg

This one really makes the richness of the russet stand out against the seal of the M-422a
256.jpg

A couple as worn. Please excuse the mess in the background. I like you guys and all, but not enough to clean up for you :lol:
258.jpg

259.jpg

Clark J

Hey C.J. did you lose a bet and have to wear those shorts????I have an old 1401 and I love it!Does that have a Talon or the new repo Crown?CJ.

C.J.

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's odd, my wife said the same thing about the shorts. But, I have boxers that match these so I'd hate to throw them out. :lol:

This one has the Crown zip. But, the more I look at this thread, the more green it gets. I hope it fades a bit with time.

C.J.

Clark J said:
It will fade to almost a tan.Is that the "war horse"HH?CJ.
Yes, it is. But, it may be a little different than the last batch due to the finish/dye process or I just got really lucky with this one. My Monarch was also warhorse and looked nothing, at all, like this hide.

C.J. that's a great shot of your 1401--THE GRAIN AND ALL...very nice!

I have the same--same size, everything, I rarely wear it...I should have asked if you wanted to buy it or even a trade for your M422.

Anyway, enjoy the jacket...

By the way, how's the police work doing? My father, after a 30 year service in the USN, had become an officer in the SFPD (San Francisco Police Department). He's retired now, but he's still a member of the FOP...

C.J.

PENSACOLA said:

I have the same--same size, everything, I rarely wear it...I should have asked if you wanted to buy it or even a trade for your M422.

By the way, how's the police work doing? My father, after a 30 year service in the USN, had become an officer in the SFPD (San Francisco Police Department). He's retired now, but he's still a member of the FOP...
Thanks.

That's a shame. I would have bought yours or jumped on the trade in a minute!

Police work is always the same, just different faces now and again. That "golden rule" thing seems to work pretty well for me, putting yourself in thier shoes before judging them along with some common sense, keeping your head down and a little luck will get you through your twenty-five years. But, in the end, we all want the same thing............. to transfer to the Fire Dept. or get back into college and get a normal job :lol:
Please give your Father best wishes from a bro on the opposite coast for me.
Craig

C.J.

Here's a decent photo of the contrast in grain between the bottom left front panel and the smoothness of the pockets. The contrast of grain patterns on this hide looks great.
251.jpg

Hey CJ,

As I said on the other forum- I'm Cmaster03 over there- that's a great looking jacket.

I didn't know you were the fuzz, too. I hear ya on the going back to college and getting a regular job. That's my goal! (FD would be cool, too for that matter) The retirement is 30 years here in NC. :eek:

C.J. said:
PENSACOLA said:

Thanks.

That's a shame. I would have bought yours or jumped on the trade in a minute!

Police work is always the same, just different faces now and again. That "golden rule" thing seems to work pretty well for me, putting yourself in thier shoes before judging them along with some common sense, keeping your head down and a little luck will get you through your twenty-five years. But, in the end, we all want the same thing............. to transfer to the Fire Dept. or get back into college and get a normal job :lol:
Please give your Father best wishes from a bro on the opposite coast for me.
Craig

Thank you, C.J...

and I had been too busy to post my Eastman prior, I guess lazy is the word--I wish I had posted--but now all that matters is your awesome "grainy" 1401, and another one coming from JC--too good!!! I'm gonna call JC and order one of his HH RW's...

Wow, 25 years of police work, that's awesome...I know how tough it is to be an officer nowadays, and I tip my hat to you--you guys see everything. It's cool to be a police officer, and one who cherishes A-2's!!! And always, my dad send his "props" to you, it's the FOP way of life...I, too, long for, after teaching for so long, just want to play Classical guitar all day, roll up on, per se, a vintage sofa, and just eat Bic Macs and French Fries, and watch a WWII documentary...

Take care, brother!

Chandler

The finish on that looks like my old 1401 (pre-warhorse, pre-aniline anything). Very nice, but -- you e-mailed back & forth with Rotenhahn... and still bought an Eastman? :D

Chandler

TankBuster

ELC can make some very nice jackets. I've seen real nice warhorse jackets, and others that were pretty boring. I guess you hit the lucky draw that day. Congrats on a great looking jacket!~

T-Bolt

TankBuster said:
ELC can make some very nice jackets. I've seen real nice warhorse jackets, and others that were pretty boring. I guess you hit the lucky draw that day. Congrats on a great looking jacket!~

I definitely agree with Jeff about leather grain and such regarding ELC jackets. I have seen (and own) a selection of ELC A-2's that have nice grain in several cases and pretty plain smooth stuff in others. :cool:

Ted

C.J.

Chandler said:
The finish on that looks like my old 1401 (pre-warhorse, pre-aniline anything). Very nice, but -- you e-mailed back & forth with Rotenhahn... and still bought an Eastman? :D

Chandler

Well, ole' Jeff got me to swing toward the RW. But, he was less than thrilled about the ELC :lol: :lol: I think they make a nice jacket. He actually likes it.....................................a little :lol:

C.J.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'm very happy with this one. I drove poor Charles crazy about picking out the grainiest jacket he had in my size. I guess it paid off.

airfrogusmc

TankBuster said:
Jeff I think they went through a really boring period a few years back but it definitely looks like they're making some really nice jackets now. Like I've always said yu want 100% original buy original otherwise find a repro maker that meets your needs and enjoy. Eastman, RMNZ, GW, FS/G&B, Aero and even ole Stu make great jackets...

Curahee

Chandler said:

Chandler

Well, like he said it helps him killin' time untill his "real" :roll: repro jacket arrives. Kind of grabbin' a Big Mac before going to a proper restaurant.
Geez, that's even worse than saying that the grain is dull or that there are no little tabs under snaps.

C.J.

Curahee said:
Chandler said:

Chandler

Well, like he said it helps him killin' time untill his "real" :roll: repro jacket arrives. Kind of grabbin' a Big Mac before going to a proper restaurant.
Geez, that's even worse than saying that the grain is dull or that there are no little tabs under snaps.
Did I miss something here?