• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I hate when people split groupings!!

bazelot

Someone who used to be a member of the forum so I won't name names but I still hate it especially for such a nice grouping. History should be preserved as best we can and buying a nice grouping then selling it piecemeal really sucks.

Andrew

Here's one- this jacket is being split from the Flight suit, probably a few other things. The obvious and precise reason for selling them separately is the hope that people will want to buy all the bits at a premium a. to keep them together and b. because it would take ages to find matching pieces. How cool is it to have a matching flight suit for an A-2 and have provenance for both? It seems mad and sad to me but it's purely $ driven.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW-II-A-2-LEATHER-F ... dZViewItem

jacketimp

give the guy a break..........be honest.........i want the best posssible price for my items too......remember i'm no charity.........

better duck

Do I see a plastic(like) coating on the cloth tape of the zipper, on the close-up photo of the zipper puller? If so, is that original?

And BTW, yes, I dislike it very much when someone splits up a collection!

jacketimp

call me when you guys have an intact groupo to float.........if items catch my fancy maybe we can deal.......we're talking about fs with matching ephemera to match....pix of vet wearing the same jkt....log book...... etc, right?

A

Anonymous

I agree with the sentiment but when you think that pretty much all flight jackets had owners who had all sorts of ephemera and we often only have the flight jacket and you consider the total number of aircrew and how many groupings there are out there and that many jacket collectors don't want to pay for anything other than the jackets, is it such a suprise or a crime ? I know collectors who only want the jacket or the suit or the crusher or the log book ad who don't have the bucks or the space to collect and store unwanted items. Also families sometimes only want or value the paper items and decide to keep those and part with the items that have little or no value to them.

If I had deep pockets and lots of space I'd keep things together and, when I'm gone, donate the lot to a museum on the condition that the grouping stays together and on display. But that ain't likely to happen any time soon :(

J_H

TankBuster

I also like to see items kept together. I've lost money many
times by selling items in groupings, rather than splitting
them up. I cherish A-2 jacket groupings. They are becoming
rarer to find every year. If you look at WWI or Civil War collectors,
the biggest money is paid for the complete groupings. WWII items will follow suit soon enough.