• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Acquired This USAAF Bronco MFG.CORP

WW2 Buff

Hello everyone-I've enjoyed very much many of the posts and threads about this subject from other members here. I acquired this USAAF Bronco A-2 jacket. I'm happy with it. I will probably put beside my TV and watch the movie "12 O'Clock High!" Does anyone have any opinions on what type of hide it is? Goat?

Attachments

• DSC09145.JPG
    DSC09145.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 172
  • DSC09155.JPG
    DSC09155.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 164
  • DSC09147.JPG
    DSC09147.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 155
  • DSC09148.JPG
    DSC09148.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 146
  • DSC09149.JPG
    DSC09149.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 135
  • DSC09150.JPG
    DSC09150.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 146
  • DSC09151.JPG
    DSC09151.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 140
  • DSC09156.JPG
    DSC09156.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 147
  • DSC09166.JPG
    DSC09166.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 157
  • Bronco tag.jpg
    Bronco tag.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 159

mulceber

IMHO, that's a tough one. That contract was made in Cowhide/horsehide and goatskin. At first glance it looks like goat to me, but the collar looks too smooth. Some of the cowhide/horsehide I've seen on this contract has tricked me in the past, so I'm inclined to say it's that, but not with any great confidence.

Beautiful example of that contract, btw.

warguy

I have two original jackets lying in my closet at the moment, one horsehide the other goat. My vote is goat on this one. Congrats and enjoy. Very nice jacket. By the way, I park my B-17 next to my TV when watching 12:00 o’ clock high. Takes up a bit more room but worth it!

WW2 Buff

Thanks for the replies. I also have a Rough Wear A-2, and a 2 piece Irvin flying suit. The Irvin jacket doesn't have a tag. I put an Ushanka on the Irvin and made it a Russian display. (The UK gave 400K Irvin jackets to the Russians during ww2).

War guy- I also don't have much room in my house-but.

Question-I have a ww2 1/18 scale airplane collection. Do you know of anyone who makes and sells 1/18 scale B-17 bombers? Or 1/18 scale ww2 Russian airplanes.

Attachments

• DSC08952.JPG
    DSC08952.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 112
  • DSC09106.JPG
    DSC09106.JPG
    879.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC09107.JPG
    DSC09107.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 100
  • DSC09106.JPG
    DSC09106.JPG
    879.9 KB · Views: 125

ZuZu

IMHO, that's a tough one. That contract was made in Cowhide/horsehide and goatskin. At first glance it looks like goat to me, but the collar looks too smooth. Some of the cowhide/horsehide I've seen on this contract has tricked me in the past, so I'm inclined to say it's that, but not with any great confidence.

Beautiful example of that contract, btw.
I agree- 90% sure it's goat but... some of the horsehide Bronco used was pebbly and fine textured like goat. Still- this looks like thin, floppy leather. Goat.

ZuZu

Yeah, thinking about it, the Bronco contract is actually the ideal contract for being reproduced with Italian HH, since the Italian stuff also is prone to having a pebbly texture like goat.
The dark GW Aero I have in a Lost Batch of Italian Horsehide perfectly replicates this. It's a bit thinner than the seal GW has now and it's pebbly in parts but smooth in small patches. I wish it was still available. He can kind of replicate it using russet Italian HH dyed to a darker but not seal brown.

WW2 Buff

Grant, your Bronco is in excellent condition and it fits you perfect. I have the Cooper A-2 from the 1980s for myself to wear. The Cooper (as I am sure you folks know) is not as WW2 in appearance as an original or some of the better copies, but I was in the Air Force when the Cooper was issued, and it fits me well. (I was not a pilot or officer). I had owned a Lost Worlds horsehide Dubow for a few years, but I sold it. Naturally I was very pleased to find I was able to sell it for what I had paid for it.