• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HPA's new direction?

Burnsie

I notice HPA's new bulletins are ALL Buzz Rickson related and they will now be offering BR's A-2's along with some other items I haven't seen come up before...I'm a bit out of the loop and I know some of you are decidedly IN the loop - is HPA getting away from Eastman and gravitating exclusively toward Buzz and Sugar Cane?

dav3469

That seems like it could be the case. With folks now able to order direct from Eastman, and some of the Customer Service issues that have been talked about, it could very well be that the relationship is straining.

Hawkeye

I dont think theres any relationship to speak of anymore. Eastmans contract with HPA expired months ago and has not been renewed, hence the option of ordering direct from ELC, and all mention of HPA stricken from the ELC site.

Hawkeye

SuinBruin said:
But you can still buy an Eastman through HPA... at least, according to HPA's web site.

Yes, but I think thats just the remaining stuff they have in stock that they have yet to sell, which could be a considerable number.

CBI

I see - well I think its great that BR A-2's can now be purchased in the US - its about time (although I would certainly suggest Goodwear as the stronger choice) Anyway - very cool that they were able to make this happen - the big question is will the bad attitude/ego at HPA continue or will we have nicer customer service? (not that I am buying).

I see and love all the BR vintage, did any of you notice that J. Crew started stocking high end repro Levi Jeans and Red Wing boots?

SuinBruin

Hawkeye said:
SuinBruin said:
But you can still buy an Eastman through HPA... at least, according to HPA's web site.

Yes, but I think thats just the remaining stuff they have in stock that they have yet to sell, which could be a considerable number.
I doubt that... I don't think HPA kept much if any Eastman A-2 inventory. I've heard from others that HPA would collect and forward its orders on to Eastman to be filled. (Apparently HPA wouldn't send Eastman the orders until it had collected a number of them, increasing the wait for those who placed orders when no others were pending at the time. Annoying!) Also, there's no reference to any inventory of sizes on the order pages, nor indication that HPA won't be able to get any particular size or custom job from Eastman.

Swing

SuinBruin said:
Hawkeye said:
SuinBruin said:

I doubt that... I don't think HPA kept much if any Eastman A-2 inventory. I've heard from others that HPA would collect and forward its orders on to Eastman to be filled. (Apparently HPA wouldn't send Eastman the orders until it had collected a number of them, increasing the wait for those who placed orders when no others were pending at the time. Annoying!) Also, there's no reference to any inventory of sizes on the order pages, nor indication that HPA won't be able to get any particular size or custom job from Eastman.

In the past HPA has kept a stock of popular models (like the 1401), in popular sizes. They usually placed orders for out of stock items once a month, so if you ordered an out of stock item you were waiting anywhere from one to three months. Not the best way of doing things IMO.

I don't know what the relationship currently is between ELC and HPA. I'd assume that the with the ups and downs the dollar and the pound have gone through the past few years, the relationship probably isn't very profitable for either party anymore. Plus the internet and the lack of a language barrier has removed the need for a middle man between ELC and the US market.

HPA on the other hand has nailed down the Buzz market for the US (as far as I understand it, via contract with Buzz, anyone in the US wanting to sell Buzz, has to go through HPA). Buzz offers HPA a much more extensive line of products, special edition items, and some of the items (like the tanker, deck jacket, B-10, B-15, etc) are much more affordable than an ELC A-2 or B-10/B-15. And Buzz products are still fairly new and exotic to the US market. So, it makes sense that HPA appears to be shifting away from ELC and toward Buzz.

~Swing

CBI

With HPA going BR I took a few moments and looked at BR's A-2's on the Japanese site. I did see a hand rubbed russet A-2 that looked pretty nice. Can someone please tell me why these jackets are so darned expensive? $1,700 -are they crazy or what? I still think Goodwear is a better jacket and at almost 2 for 1 vs. BR, what's the point of buying BR?

No insult intended to/for BR A-2 fans

ghq1

Same old story . .

Lots of people are going to think $1,700 is awesome for a BR A-2 . .

like lots of people are going to think $900 is awesome for a Goodwear A-2

. . . . $700 for an Eastman A-2

. . . $600 for a Gibson & Barnes A-2

. . . $400 for a US Authentic A-2

and just like nobody wants a US Wings A-2 at any price . . . :lol:

Depends where you fall in the spectrum

Falcon_52

CBI said:
Can someone please tell me why these jackets are so darned expensive?

I think it all comes down to what the market is willing to pay. My theory is that Buzz Rickson prices are so high because the Japanese market will pay and does pay that much. I believe that "The Few" line from RMNZ would fall under this same category.

I personally think that it's completely insane to pay $1700 for a repro A-2 but that's just me. Hell, with the Yen around 90 per US$ the Japanese should be buying Goodwears by the boat load. :)

Noel

greyhound52

Falcon_52 said:
CBI said:
Can someone please tell me why these jackets are so darned expensive?

I think it all comes down to what the market is willing to pay. My theory is that Buzz Rickson prices are so high because the Japanese market will pay and does pay that much. I believe that "The Few" line from RMNZ would fall under this same category.

I personally think that it's completely insane to pay $1700 for a repro A-2 but that's just me. Hell, with the Yen around 90 per US$ the Japanese should be buying Goodwears by the boat load. :)

Noel
Noel,
Agree. But owning three BR A2s and one "The Few" they are nice jackets. Although, the new HH Goodwear has equals them.

Burnsie

I have to say this is incredibly tantalizing:

"We will premier three Buzz Rickson's A-2 jackets this fall, two of which are one-time productions that have never been previously made before and are exclusive for 2009 only. All three A-2's will be produced from Buzz Rickson's unsurpassed Bronco Hide - a specially developed veg.-tanned, aniline-dyed horsehide renowned for its beefy-yet-comfortable weight and drape, along with the most incredible grain characteristics you've ever seen! And you'll be further knocked out by Buzz Rickson's reproduction Crown zippers with molded chevron teeth - all three A-2 styles we're bringing in are outfitted with these zippers."

No pics yet - but I'll be checking almost daily!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Falcon_52 said:
Hell, with the Yen around 90 per US$ the Japanese should be buying Goodwears by the boat load. :)

Yeah ..... that will keep the waiting list short. :?

Swing

Falcon_52 said:
I personally think that it's completely insane to pay $1700 for a repro A-2 but that's just me.

I don't think you're alone in that thought!

$650 is pushing it IMO. A-2s are still just leather, cotton and wool, but they've close to doubled in price over the past 10 years. You'd think they were made of oil or gold!

~Swing

watchmanjimg

I too agree that the prices are insane nowadays, but as Falcon52 pointed out they are merely a reflection of what the market will bear. Personally, I've had good luck with slightly used examples of high-end jackets. Some of you may recall the excellent Few Bronco A-2 I got from Bevan at a fraction of its original price. Thanks again, mate!

Of course, the new HH offered by Goodwear may well obviate the need to look further.

A

Anonymous

Still seems rather odd they still are not taking internet orders or even have an e mail option?

I wonder how long Buzz Rickson stays with them untill they pull the plug just like ELC did?

Swing

wing nut said:
Still seems rather odd they still are not taking internet orders or even have an e mail option?

I wonder how long Buzz Rickson stays with them untill they pull the plug just like ELC did?

I don't know if ELC pulled the plug, or what the deal was. You're right about HPA's website though. Customers should be able to go "Click, click, click" and place their order online without phoning or faxing it in.

~Swing

DJS48

Attitude et. al. at HPA: I parted company with that organization a long time ago................I have been a customer of GW and there is no comparison to customer service/attitude. I am going to the bunker now to wait the slings and arrows.............
Cheers,
Don

airfrogusmc

With HPA out of the loop if Eastman had a jacket I wanted I would actually consider it. If HPA were still involved it would be out of the question. I to like JC, his service and his jackets. That reminds me I need to contact him about a 39 Werber.

Members online

Latest posts