• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to measure a jacket correctly tutorial

Friends.recently received one very interesting jacket G1, everything is perfect.Sleeve, shoulders, chest.But where did that crease come from? this is not the right fit? maybe a good tailor will cope with this problem?View attachment 15653 View attachment 15653
The problem is: the back of the jacket is not properly attached the collar. There is too much material below the collar on the right side. Fixing this won't be a problem for a genuine tailor (e.g., one who can make a suit): detach the collar from the jacket back, trim the excess leather on the right, and reattach the collar.

Terryjohn

OK, felt the need to show this because apparently there is no certainty about how correct measurements are taken and would like to clarify things and eliminate the possibilities of misunderstandings and disputes.

First of all, you need a measuring tape. Don't come with a yardstick, this is for a different job.

IMG_2221.jpg

Shoulders. The easiest. Jacket should be zipped up all the way, laid flat on a table, grab the shoulders and pull until leather becomes straight, but without stretching it. Measure from shoulder tip to shoulder tip. (Photo doesn't show exactly what I want, I will post another one later, it's a start though).

IMG_2222.jpg

Back. Put the measuring tape at the bottom of the collar and making sure the jacket lays completely flat, run it over it until the end of the knitted waistband. Simple.

IMG_2224.jpg

This is the correct sleeve measurement. Measuring the outer edge of the sleeve. Its maximum length. Don't do it as shown in the photo below. It's wrong.

IMG_2227.jpg

Wrong! See? One inch shorter.

IMG_2228.jpg

Chest. Grab the jacket under the armpits and pull until it becomes straight. Don't pull to hard you don't want to stretch it. Again, my photo isn't the best. Left side OK, right side not perfectly straight, but anyway, that's how the pit to pit measurement is taken.

Thanks.
great tutorial thanks for sharing