• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to : Knits washing

pierregloom

Hi everyone, I need a little advice!
I'd like to clean the knitted cuffs on my AVI M422-A. Pollen has settled on them when I'm out in the field and I don't want to do anything stupid. How do you usually do this so as not to damage the knit?

Thanks ;)

JonnyCrow

Hi everyone, I need a little advice!
I'd like to clean the knitted cuffs on my AVI M422-A. Pollen has settled on them when I'm out in the field and I don't want to do anything stupid. How do you usually do this so as not to damage the knit?

Thanks ;)
Sticky pollen?

JonnyCrow

I don't think I've ever washed my knits. I think I'd be inclined to just use some pieces of masking tape to pick up the pollen. After that, maybe just soak the knits and then squeeze them out a few times in cold water to try to flush out whatever is left?
I just sponged them after the woods with dogs and hung it on the terrace to dry, best person to ask is Steve Micawber, he gets all sorts of kelt on his jackets haha

pierregloom

:)

Thanks, I tried the masking tape, then cold water, and it's better. However, the the knits has a bit of lint, I imagine AVI is not using 100% whool for their jackets knits. It's not that it bothers me that much, it's just to say it in case other owners of Avi jackets have noticed the same thing.

JonnyCrow

:)

Thanks, I tried the masking tape, then cold water, and it's better. However, the the knits has a bit of lint, I imagine AVI is not using 100% whool for their jackets knits. It's not that it bothers me that much, it's just to say it in case other owners of Avi jackets have noticed the same thing.
If they don't you'll notice bobbling

Dany McDonald

Allo Pierre,

I wash my knits in mild water with glycerin soap and then rinse, all under the tap, no problem there!

Lint can be addressed with an electric lint remover, I have a couple and they are really great.

D

Last edited:

Silver Surfer

uh, watch out for steam. usually steam shortens the knit length, and at first the knits seem tighter, but the steaming will ultimately make them loose. ....especially on a waistband.

Dumpster D

Careful washing wool.

Give the jacket a good vigorous shake for a start, and do a bit of research how to wash wool, the temperature of the water is important to pay attention to when washing wool.

I personally prefer to just let the dust and dirt come off naturally.