• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you wash a M1941 jacket?

bazelot

I now have 2 Navy M1941 jackets and i would like to wash them. Has anyone tried to wash one before? I am afraid the wool lining would shrink. Is dry cleaning better?

watchmanjimg

I'm sure others have gotten away with washing, but I'd strongly advise you to dry clean them. It's not worth the risk.

bazelot

I just left the jacket at the Dry Cleaners.
Hopefully the USN stamp on the chest won't get damaged, that would suck as the jacket is close to mint.

Grant

Expect some fading from the USN stencil. I've had slight fading when dry cleaning N-1's.

bazelot

I had 2 jackets, one i dry cleaned and the other I washed myself. Hands down the gentle wash wins. I will not dry clean a jacket like this again. The fading is way worse on the dry cleaned jacket plus there was absolutely NO shrinking of the one I washed by hand. Another plus of washing it yourself is the smell. The one I washed myself ended up smelling like clean laundry the one that was dry cleaned stinks up to high heaven of chemicals. I am now considering washing the one that was dry cleaned.
THe conclusion of this is that if there is no Mouton on the collar a gentle wash may be the best solution for those jackets.