• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hot water treatment on a 70's G-1

jschare

I apologize if this is in the wrong area but has anyone tried a hot water treatment on a G-1? How did it turn out? I picked up Bril Bros. G-1 cheap and its a little big so I wanted see if it would shrink.

jschare

It's a little long in the arms. Longer than my Star. But it has an odor too as well so I figured the water would wash away the smell also.

rpmooreii

The hot water treatment does not do much to goatskin G-1s; if it is a cowhide E series the hw might add some grain and character.

The best way to get rid of odors (n my experience) is to simply hang the jacket on a hanger outside for several days. I have had some that were pretty stinky and this worked every single time.

Good luck.

...Roger

unclegrumpy

Depends also what the smell is. Mold or bad B.O. in the lining can be hard to get rid of. I have had good luck freshening up the later....late 1960's and newer G-1's....by turning them inside out and hand washing them in cold water with either no soap or as little as possible.

Those jackets are really durable, and if you are careful drying them, there should not be a problem. When I say careful drying, the best way is slowly with no heat or direct sun, and occasionally putting it on for some stretching and reshaping.

Good luck!