• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hoping to get more info on my Jacket?

BoiseJW

BoiseJW

I purchased this about 10 years ago and it's been sitting in my closet. I only wear it occasionaly. And I am now intrested on its origins. It looks like you guys are the experts on these military type flight jackets.

Bombing IP

Flight Suits, Ltd
Address
USA, California, El Cajon,92020-1682, 1675 Pioneer Way
View map

Director
James A Wegge, President
Phones of enterprise

management
+1 Display phones
Internet
Site196568-us.all.biz
Messagewrite a letter
Flight Suits, Ltd
Apparel - finished products from fabrics and similar materials. Mens and boys work clothing

Products And Services

Sentinel Pants
Sentinel Pants

Sentinel Uniform
Sentinel Uniform

CWU-27/P Flight Suit
CWU-27/P Flight Suit

Chippewa's Emergency Response Boots
Chippewa's Emergency Response Boots

Chippewa's Test Pilot Boots
Chippewa's Test Pilot Boots

Classic Uniform
Classic Uniform

Guardian Uniform
Guardian Uniform

FSL 27/P Flight Suit
FSL 27/P Flight Suit

F-82 Flight Jacket
F-82 Flight Jacket

Air Force A-2 Jackets
Air Force A-2 Jackets

Responder Uniform
Responder Uniform

MBU-12/P Oxygen Mask -PA-101 Amp with 14 Mic Cord
MBU-12/P Oxygen Mask -PA-101 Amp with 14" Mic Cord

Here you go .Contact these guys and get the definitive answer to your question .

BIp

Steve27752

Brettafett

Flight Suits Ltd, now Gibson & Barnes (stand corrected...).
Your jacket is a good old USA-made 90s goatskin A-2, in a more modern, generic pattern.

BoiseJW

What does modern, generic pattern mean? Were these made better or worse in the 90's compared to today's version?

Steve27752

What does modern, generic pattern mean? Were these made better or worse in the 90's compared to today's version?
Generic as in a mish mash of A-2 styles.........Today's Gibson & Barnes A-2's are neither better nor worse than the 90's jackets. They all come up large in size.

Brettafett

First off, welcome to the forum. Theres lots of info on here about these jackets, both originals and reproductions.
It all depends on what jackets you are comparing... There are many, many versions... with varying levels of authenticity.

Not about being better or worse, but more like the many varying levels of detailing and authenticity, compared to original WW2 A-2 jackets.
There is a massive difference between a 'generic' repro such as this one, and some of the top-tier repros that sell for hundreds and even over a thousand of dollars.

That does not mean this jacket is bad at all, or less well-made.

The pattern/ cut of this and many other modern repros are 'generic' in-house patterns, usually with a more fuller, generous cut (for the more modern bloke), compared the original jackets from the 1940s, which tend to be a lot more trim per given size.
These jackets are representations, and not very period-authentic or accurate in any way, compared to original A-2s. Neither are they meant to be.
They certainly are well-made and robust.

Interest in the jackets can lead one down a road from which there is no return ;) Good luck

Last edited:

B-Man2

Boise
It’s a good utility jacket to wear and beat the piss out of and enjoy.
Thanks for posting !