• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High-End A-2 Repros - Nametags/Shoulder Patch

alcon

I've noticed that most of the pics I've seen of forum members with high-end A-2 repros (i.e.,Good Wear and Eastman) do not place even an Army Air Foce shoulder patch and/or nametag on their jackets. Some of the leather on leather shoulder patches are very authentic looking. I would like to know your reason for not using a shoulder patch or nametag. Does it hurt the value of your jacket? Just don't like them? Other reason(s). Thanks. :)

ties70

The value is an issue:
We have the tendency to sell our jacket sooner or later, always looking for the next "holy grail". Stitch holes will cost you money.

Regards

Ties

alcon

Yes, I can certainly understand your reasoning; I've been through that thought process myself. I have nothing on my jackets and tend to sell them too. Ironically, we pay so much for our wonderful A-2s and then are hesitant about properly adding things to our jackets in hopes of possibly maximizing our enjoyment. Maybe we don't realize that our "holy grail" is really a completely adorned A-2. The problem is that if we do find our "holy grail" the search is over then what???? LOL. ;)

colekwok

I don't think squadron or FG/BG patches will de-value a fine jacket if they are done properly and accurately. If you check out the Japanese high end repros, those with patches are sold with a much higher price tag. Name tag is always the problem though, you just don't want to have somebody's name on your nice jacket, do you?

For me, if you tend to wear your jacket on a daily basis, you want it to be subtle, not with some very loud and colourful patches on your chest or a sexy naked lady on your back to intimidate your female counterparts in the office. Also, when you look at a spanking new plain A-2 with some flawless nice horsehide, you just don't want to ruin it after all. At the end of the day, not all WW2 AAF pilots have their jackets full of tags and patches anyway.

Roughwear

I would not add patches or name tags to my high end repro A2s as I wear them regularly and such additions are not necessary. They can devalue a jacket. Originals are altogether a different matter! ;)

SuinBruin

I bought one of John's test/personal jackets back in 2008 and had him add a shoulder decal and one of my grandfather's original WWII USAAF nametags. I think it looks pretty cool but it was done as a personal tribute -- so there is no chance I will be selling the jacket.

My other 2 GWs don't have any insignia on them, and neither will any future GW purchases I make (SAT!).

cheers,
matt

asiamiles

colekwok said:
I don't think squadron or FG/BG patches will de-value a fine jacket if they are done properly and accurately. If you check out the Japanese high end repros, those with patches are sold with a much higher price tag.
The Japanese do like their jackets decorated. But the reason they are priced higher originally is basically that it takes into account the cost of the patch and additional workmanship involved. This and the limited availability of these jackets make them more desirable on the secondary market, but the adding of a patch to an unadorned jacket will decrease a jacket's value in Japan just as it would elsewhere; in fact, the Japanese are probably more fussy about things being untouched.

tater

About all I'd put on one might be a name tag. Probably because I'm used to seeing that on them in pictures (more so than painting nose art, etc).

My name is my name, but I'd have a little trouble with wearing unit insignia that doesn't "belong to me." I'd be too self-concious to wear it.

greyhound52

ties70 said:
The value is an issue:
We have the tendency to sell our jacket sooner or later, always looking for the next "holy grail". Stitch holes will cost you money.

Regards

Ties

Ditto totally agree

zoomer

I've thought about patching now and then, but I've never wanted to, really. The temptation to wear one insignia and then another is too great - and then you mar the jacket more with each successive stitching.

I have a jacket with one set of stitch holes. That's enough - I would never add to that.

442RCT

If I bought a jacket without patches, I tend to leave it alone. If the jacket has a name tag, I'll replace it with my own name. If the jacket has a patch already, I'll patch it up some more, i.e. - a blood chit on the back. I'll patch it up with CBI patches on the shoulder and a CBI unit on the chest. Up until now unless I buy a pre-painted high end repro, I've been painting 'orphan' A-2 jackets. I recently acquired an ELC in seal brown that I sent out to be painted.

In regards to the resale value of a patched or painted jacket, in my experience, they'll sell for less than an unpainted or patched jacket...BUT, if the patched/paint job is desirable, then it becomes competitive. One painted repro I recall bidding on was a painted Aero that had been pre-aged, with the paint wearing and chipping off in spots to give it a well worn patina. I was surprised how much it went for. I've also seen extensively patched repro jackets sell for the cost of what the owner paid for the patches alone.

Weasel_Loader

I have two patches waiting for the perfect A-2s to put them on to. My GW SAT was perfect for my 31st BS patch, but jacket was comfortable enough for me to keep. Will hold out for a larger early A-2 or maybe A-1 someday.

31st_bombSquadron.jpg

This one was made for a GW Dubow 20960, but again was not the right fit. Holding out for a early A-2 or A-1.

WRIGHTFIELD3.jpg

My latest GW Bronco in goat that I should have in my hands tomorrow is targeted for a possible 90th BG patch if I can find a good reproduction felt patch. Most of these Pacific patches were felt and not leather as most ETO ones were. This is my uncles original that I was able to snap a photo of at my aunts earlier this year. I do have a reproduction 319th BS patch, but not sure how well received it would be around here as too many people tend to be "politically correct" and not historically accurate. :lol:

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

As they all say, just waiting for the right jacket. :roll:

MikeyB-17

I find it hard to keep a jacket unpatched for long-some silliness in me wants people to know that it's a flying jacket, and without patches an A-2 is nothing but a brown leather jacket to your average man in the street. That having been said, I do have an urge for an plainer A-2 than mine, which being the first I ever bought, I wouldn't sell.

colekwok

It looks to me that there are huge discrepancies among people's opinions about patches/insignia.

It is interesting to know that patches acutally devalue the jackets, does that mean I can start getting some bargains?
From my personal experience in Asia, jackets with proper patches can always fetch a higher 2nd-hand price in the market.
Of course we are not talk about putting stupid Topguns patches.

Now that you people are making me thinking twice about putting the 506th PIR patches on my next A-2..... damn.....
But anyway, I tend to keep my jackets for as long as possible, unless I really need the money, I would try to keep
whole of my collections, that's why I am actually not concerned about the resale value anyway.

A

Anonymous

Interesting conversation, as I hope the prevailing assumption is in not having a jacket with an AAF roundel, squadron patches, and nametags somehow makes the A2 "unrealistic" or less attractive. This is a dubious assumption - I bet I can show many, many more wartime photos of AAF jackets without those accoutrements than with them. They were by no means the "norm". Certainly there is nothing wrong with patching a jacket but it is no less incorrect to have a plain one either. Honestly, the reason the A2 jacket has endured so long as a classic is because it looks so good as "a brown leather jacket", unadorned, perfect.

Best to all!
Bill

442RCT

bellumbill said:
Interesting conversation, as I hope the prevailing assumption is in not having a jacket with an AAF roundel, squadron patches, and nametags somehow makes the A2 "unrealistic" or less attractive.

Honestly, the reason the A2 jacket has endured so long as a classic is because it looks so good as "a brown leather jacket", unadorned, perfect.

Best to all!
Bill

I'm one of those who like my A-2s both ways, but if the A-2 was just "a brown leather jacket" without it's iconic military status, I probably wouldn't even own one, much less the 40 or 50 I do have. I don't think they're 'perfect'. To be honest I prefer the G-1 over the A-2 , it's more comfortable with the bi-swing back and has an extra inner pocket. I wore a plain jane G-1 for a decade before buying an A-2. ;)

A

Anonymous

442RCT said:
bellumbill said:
Interesting conversation, as I hope the prevailing assumption is in not having a jacket with an AAF roundel, squadron patches, and nametags somehow makes the A2 "unrealistic" or less attractive.

Honestly, the reason the A2 jacket has endured so long as a classic is because it looks so good as "a brown leather jacket", unadorned, perfect.

Best to all!
Bill

I'm one of those who like my A-2s both ways, but if the A-2 was just "a brown leather jacket" without it's iconic military status, I probably wouldn't even own one, much less the 40 or 50 I do have. I don't think they're 'perfect'. To be honest I prefer the G-1 over the A-2 , it's more comfortable with the bi-swing back and has an extra inner pocket. I wore a plain jane G-1 for a decade before buying an A-2. ;)

What I meant was that the A2 jacket is perfectly iconic, not necessarily THE perfect jacket - and in that sense, like a pair of khaki chinos or the "little black dress" or something, it it looks just fine unadorned.

From a strictly military standpoint, my point was that it is just as correct or authentic or what have you to wear an A2 or a G1 unadorned.

Best to all!
Bill K.

ausreenactor

Roughwear said:
I would not add patches or name tags to my high end repro A2s as I wear them regularly and such additions are not necessary. They can devalue a jacket. Originals are altogether a different matter! ;)

You patch up originals!!! :eek:

;)