• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hideous T-Bird A-2's

HackerF15E

RCSignals said:
That's interesting, since Avirex is the older name for Cockpit. So not only has the name changed but the pattern has changed as well as apparent quality of leather.

We've had a pretty lengthy discussion on this topic before.

At some time in the last 4-5 years, the law was changed so that all of the skins had to be sourced domestically rather than from overseas. This led to the change in quality for the worse circa the 2007 Cockpit USA contract.

As to the change in style/cut, it took place circa '98 or '99.

Pilots have a choice in sizing when they're issued the jacket. IMHO it's a comfort issue for most pilots to choose them a little large. That being said, an Avirex in 46 fits me across the arms and shoulders, but is way too loose and baggy around the gut. I much prefer the tighter fit of the G-1 in the torso area. Actually, I much prefer the G-1 overall, but I'm not willing to change services over that.

RCSignals

HackerF15E said:
.............. I much prefer the tighter fit of the G-1 in the torso area. Actually, I much prefer the G-1 overall, but I'm not willing to change services over that.

I've read that is basically what Tex Hill said as well, and kept wearing his after the AVG was disbanded and absorbed by the AAF. But of course times were different.

Monsoon

HackerF15E said:
That being said, an Avirex in 46 fits me across the arms and shoulders, but is way too loose and baggy around the gut.

Hit the DFAC a little more and that problem will solve itself!

HackerF15E

Monsoon said:
HackerF15E said:
That being said, an Avirex in 46 fits me across the arms and shoulders, but is way too loose and baggy around the gut.

Hit the DFAC a little more and that problem will solve itself!

Spending time in the desert is usually a weight-losing experience for me, fortunately!