• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hideous T-Bird A-2's

R7000

Group,

I saw the T-Birds today and they were great. It was cool so the jocks were wearing their A-2s. Man did they look awful. And I'm no premium snob. They were very dark in color, the collars were thin, the knits didn't match and worst of all they were way too generous around the waist for what I have got to say is the fittest bunch of young people I have seen in a long time. The largest waist on this bunch looked like 32" maybe (once they stripped these jacked up A-2s their flight suits looked great).

Any idea who supplies the T-Birds?

Tom

ausreenactor

The T-Birds?

TBIRDGREASEJACKET2.jpg

:D

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
R7000 said:

• We outfit both the Navy’s Blue Angels, the USAF Thunderbirds and NASA's flight suits for the astronauts. The Navy and Air Force both order our G-1 and A-2 leather flight jackets for their hard-to-fit aviators and VIPs.

Gibson & Barnes

B-Man2

David; (deeb7)

I'm starting to read the forum with particular attention to your posts. You are the Wikippedia for all relevant & informative information on A2's and vintage jackets.

As we say in the US................."You da man!!"

Cheers
B-Man2

RCSignals

deeb7 said:
R7000 said:

• We outfit both the Navy’s Blue Angels, the USAF Thunderbirds and NASA's flight suits for the astronauts. The Navy and Air Force both order our G-1 and A-2 leather flight jackets for their hard-to-fit aviators and VIPs.

Gibson & Barnes

Hard to fit? I guess they aren't being made to measure going by R7000's description.

But given my own sizing experience with G+B when I was interested in their M-422a, I'm not surprised the T-birds jackets looked too large.

Roughwear

B-Man2 said:
David; (deeb7)

I'm starting to read the forum with particular attention to your posts. You are the Wikippedia for all relevant & informative information on A2's and vintage jackets.

Cheers
B-Man2

You certainly don't need Wikippedia as we have our very own living one in David. :lol: We await his flight jacket books with great interest. ;)

Dr H

And you needn't get too complacent Andrew, I'm awaiting that Irvin book while I still young enough to read/use it :lol:

Roughwear

Dr H said:
And you needn't get too complacent Andrew, I'm awaiting that Irvin book while I still young enough to read/use it :lol:

Oh, yes I very complacent. ;) My research continues apace Ian.

Vcruiser

Roughwear said:
B-Man2 said:
David; (deeb7)

Cheers
B-Man2

You certainly don't need Wikippedia as we have our very own living one in David. :lol: We await his flight jacket books with great interest. ;)

Why laugh..? David HAS..and does provided a pretty good service of info for this forum. :?

Roughwear

Vcruiser said:
Roughwear said:
B-Man2 said:
David; (deeb7)

Cheers
B-Man2

Why laugh..? David HAS..and does provided a pretty good service of info for this forum. :?

I agree he certainly does, but I find the comparison with Wikippedia just funny-British sense of humour! David is really our resident archivist and does a first rate job IMO.

Vcruiser

Roughwear said:
Vcruiser said:
Roughwear said:

I agree he certainly does, but I find the comparison with Wikippedia just funny-British sense of humour! David is really our resident archivist and does a first rate job IMO.

Thanks Andrew. ;)

dujardin

B-Man2 said:
David; (deeb7)

Cheers
B-Man2

affectuously, in complete respect, just a friendly way; i like to call David .....my encyclopedia ;)

Monsoon

No idea who made my A-2. I'll check tonight. Willing to bet it wasn't G&B, tho.

I went to supply a while back and they had sent back one of our guys new A-2. Supply dude said it looked like crap and he requested another vendor.

RCSignals

I don't think the G&B are general issue, but special order contract for the T-Birds.

I think part of the problem with the current A-2 is the new pattern. Hand warmer pockets aside it looks to have become a large amorphous bag rather than a semi fitting jacket.

Monsoon

My A2 was made by Avirex. I had a 44, just turned it in for a 42. Sure, it's not a high end jacket like Aero, but it's not bad and it fits well.

Guy in my section got one from Cockpit. Looks like a bag of ass. Arms are grainy, back is smooth, and it has a over all greasy/oil feel and looks like the dye was sprayed on.

RCSignals

That's interesting, since Avirex is the older name for Cockpit. So not only has the name changed but the pattern has changed as well as apparent quality of leather.