• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's My W535ac27752 Rough Wear Spring 1942

WW2 Buff

Hello, Here's my W535ac27752 Rough Wear Spring 1942 A-2 in a 40 R. I acquired this jacket years ago. It has some surface scuffs but otherwise it's in very good condition.
DSC09212.JPG
DSC09219.JPG
DSC09210.JPG
DSC09202.JPG
image_5496591.png
image_5496595.png
image_5496596.png

Silver Surfer

Kinda hard to make out the rw, except to point out the collar. much has been written around here about the overly large collars that some elc repro rws have, and this original would fit in the category of large rw collars on originals. ive seen large collars on rw originals before, and even had one long ago with a bigger collar, such as this one.perhaps Gary opted to reproduce some of their rws based on an original he had. alway a pleasure to see the differences and similarities of original a-2s. tx for posting the pix.

Last edited:

ZuZu

Kinda hard to make out the rw, except to point out the collar. much has been written around here about the overly large collars that some elc repro rws have, and this original would fit in the category of large rw collars on originals. ive seen large collars on rw originals before, and even had one long ago with a bigger collar, such as this one.perhaps Gary opted to reproduce some of their rws based on an original he had. alway a pleasure to see the differences and similarities of original a-2s. tx for posting the pix.
Hate to disagree- this jacket is a 40. The collar might look a bit bigger 'cause of that. I think the RW collar is by far the hardest to reproduce of all the contracts and probably the hardest thing in A-2 repro making to pull off. No one gets it 100% right IMO for different reasons but Eastman's is too much of a disk and 5 Star's is pretty far off. BK's is closer but it too sits off the chest in a bit of a cone. GW's is by far closest but it is a bit timid and lacking some of those curves and counter curves I see in many originals. It's very difficult to copy the nuances- it just is. But big disk cone overemphasized yelly collar is not right.

This:
700379EC-68B5-4075-A1F9-E1E5153178B1.jpeg

is not this:

DSC09202.JPG

ZuZu

This Good Wear Rough Wear which was owned by me and Nick123b is the CLOSEST RW collar I've ever seen on a repro. The Horween leather and the particular pattern John used came together beautifully and it sat naturally like an original. Closest ever I've seen!
jeff t gw 27752.jpeg

Silver Surfer

hell, i was just counting down the moments for you to weigh in on this one, Jeff. I believe that many , if not all original makers, made one size fits all for collars and pockets....even on some large a-2s. currently I have both a size 40 and size 42 rw [doesnt matter which contract, but both are 1401], and the collars are the same size. as written, I had a rw 1401 size 40 that had a collar that was bigger all around by 1/4-3/8 of an inch than any I had handled before or since.

ZuZu

That's my point- the collar on the 40 looks bigger because it's on a smaller size . My thing is that big collar on Eastmans isn't justified. The Eastman is too wide compared to any original which isn't a total outlier. The largeness isn't the only problem. No one gets all the nuances but Eastman's shape is just made up.

ZuZu

That Eastman looks amazing! Thanks for the posting the pic.
Amazing yes- but not like a Rough Wear! it looks baroque- overwrought- too much grain IMO- weird Eastmany things like tiny sleeve ends and a giant collar- an interpretation of a Rough Wear but not a copy.

WW2 Buff

Hello gentlemen, sorry to take so long to get back to you and post some day light photos as has been suggested. I have the slows. Thanks for looking and thanks for the comments. I love this forum

Attachments

• DSC09277.JPG
    DSC09277.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 76
  • DSC09276.JPG
    DSC09276.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 71
  • DSC09265.JPG
    DSC09265.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
  • DSC09275.JPG
    DSC09275.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 67
  • DSC09272.JPG
    DSC09272.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • DSC09271.JPG
    DSC09271.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 72
  • DSC09270.JPG
    DSC09270.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 75
  • DSC09269.JPG
    DSC09269.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 74
  • DSC09260.JPG
    DSC09260.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 82
  • DSC09259.JPG
    DSC09259.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 76

ZuZu

The pictures show the weird WW2 color which looks seal (just dark) in some pictures and russet (brown) in others especially in bright light.

The photo below shows that RW collar in all its glory. Looks so simple- yet there are a couple of innate subtle bends in there which I haven't been able to get any repro to emulate. Very very close by The Man as seen above in Nick's jacket which I posted but there's a weird juxtaposition of straight lines and curves which no amount of folding and working on a repro can get just right. Truly a Jacket Mystery- the Rough Wear collar.
DSC09271.JPG