• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with US Army sleeping bag choice.

eamenos

hi guys,

I've the chance to buy a complete near mint Us Army M1949 sleeping bag from 1967 (feather filled) and a brand new US Extreme Cold Weather sleeping bag from 1984 (down and polyester filled). The prices of both are more o less the same.

I want the sleeping bag for hunting days up in mountainous zones, where temperatures can reach 10°-14°F. (I don't know the temperature rating of both sleeping bags)

Which of both for you, would be the best choice? (the warmer one). The weight, is not important, it will be in the car, not carried with a rucksack.

Thank you very much. Regards

Experi

MauldinFan

I've had both and the Extreme Cold Weather is the best choice. Comes even with a sleeping cap ;)
I agree. That bag had three parts, the inner, thicker outer, and the Goretex shell. I slept in those in many conditions and I never felt cold in any weather with one. The inner made for a very comfortable place to lay down.
That was the ONLY thing I was issued that I wish I could have kept.

eamenos

I agree. That bag had three parts, the inner, thicker outer, and the Goretex shell. I slept in those in many conditions and I never felt cold in any weather with one. The inner made for a very comfortable place to lay down.
That was the ONLY thing I was issued that I wish I could have kept.
Are you referring to the 70s-80s Extreme Cold Weather sleeping bag or the actual Modular Sleeping System?

I ask you because the 80s one I think don't have goretex shell

MauldinFan

Are you referring to the 70s-80s Extreme Cold Weather sleeping bag or the actual Modular Sleeping System?

I ask you because the 80s one I think don't have goretex shell
Oh, I thought we meant the same. ECW referred to the goretex uniforms and I thought you meant the sleeping bag system that came with it, sorry.

Monsoon

The extreme cold weather bag is a monster. It took up an entire A Bag. And for me, stationed in Oklahoma, it was too warm to use.

The mountain bag was the best. Rolled up nice and small.

Both are put to shame with the new modular system that came out later.