• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Star G-1

JWS4th

So I knew I had this G1 in the basement but never really took to much interest in it, more into A-2s and Army Air Force items since my dad was a bombardier and later a navigator on B-24s and B-25s, retired after 21 years. The jacket was given to me back in the early 70's when I was in high school by one of my friends, to big for him and he knew even back then that I liked WWII memorabilia, jacket at that time was to big for me too. The jacket just moved around with me over the years relegated to the basement storage areas. Since becoming a member of this forum I have seen many G-1s pictured and talked about. It peeked my interest to dig out the G-1 from the basement and see if it fit and could be worn. I remember that the cuffs were in pretty bad shape and were one of the reasons it had not been pulled out earlier. It also had no label in it so I did not know who made it or how old it was. I know that some military surplus items have their labels blacked out or removed prior to being sold to the civilian market, thought this was the case with this jacket. I retrieved the jacket from the basement and it needed a dusting off and I gave it a light application of Lexol. The leather is in excellent condition with minimal signs of wear, not so sure how the cuffs got in so bad of shape, moths? The lining has no wear marks and is complete throughout. While I was applying the Lexol I opened the inside map pocket and behold, inside way in the back was the loose label after all these years, what a find!
It reads as follows:
JACKET FLYER'S
INTERMEDIATE TYPE G-1
SIZE 46
MIL-J-7823E(AS)
STAR SPORTSWEAR MFG. CORP.
6415-00268-7802
DSA100-75-C-0331

I know Star Sportswear was base in Massachusetts and has long since gone out of business so the jacket must have some age to it, though I have not seen this manufacturer mention in any of the G-1 topics, to new, to common? If anyone could fill me in on the history of this particular make I would greatly appreciate it. Also should I have the cuffs and waist band replaced? I am concerned that if replaced it would create another line of stitching if the original holes could not be re-used. Any recommendation here would also be very helpful. Thank you.

StarG1Front-1.jpg

StarG1open-1.jpg

P1010034-1.jpg

P1010039-1.jpg

P1010045.jpg

StarG1Front.jpg

Roughwear

Star Sportswear were awarded a contract for A2s in 1942. Their first contract for naval G-1s dates to 1950, and subsequent contracts were awarded in 1951, 1964, 1965, 1968, 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975. Your G-1 is from their 1975 contract.

Jaguar46

If you have someone who is accomplished at replacing knits, it can be done using the same stitch holes and not be noticeable. I have a G1 with replaced knits and it is noticeable.

If it were my jacket, and I intended to keep the jacket and wear it, I would replace the knits. The year 1975, I would not think to be a rare year for G1 manufacturers.

StarG1Front-1.jpg

StarG1open-1.jpg

P1010034-1.jpg

P1010039-1.jpg

P1010045.jpg

StarG1Front.jpg

Jason

Replacing the cuffs is most definitely an option. When looking for new ones, try to get some that match as close in colour at least to the existing waistband. Your next challenge will be to find someone who will replace them, reusing the old stitch holes so as to make the job look good. Many local people around here won't do that, as its a time consuming job and they prefer to just mow over the top of the existing stitch holes with a new stitch line, and the result is a set of cuffs that do look obviously replaced. I visit a guy 150 miles distant to get it done the way I want... the result is worth it.

If you're looking to replace the waistband too, then there's a few new complications. Finding replacement cuffs isn't a problem. Finding matching cuffs and waistband together isn't a problem either. But finding matching cuffs and waistband where the waistband is both long enough (to go around the circumference of the waist of the jacket) and tall enough can be a problem. Many waistbands I've got held aside because they were not tall enough, and if sewn in would look obviously stretched where they meet the zipper box. Its not a look I care for.

All this attention to detail might sound a little over the top, especially for a 1975 7823E G-1 (not exactly what you'd call a rare bird) but we're a little bit like that around here :lol:

bjoy

I know Star Sportswear was base in Massachusetts and has long since gone out of business so the jacket must have some age to it, though I have not seen this manufacturer mention in any of the G-1 topics, to new, to common? If anyone could fill me in on the history of this particular make I would greatly appreciate it.

Star Sportswear was started in the 1920s by the Russian immigrant Samuel Kurland (originally Kurlansky). It was sold to Londontown Clothing Co (now London Fog Industries) in 1970 and renamed Startown.

In the late 80's Clipper Mist and Startown were merged to recreate the Star Sportswear name.

http://www.bizapedia.com/ga/STAR-SPORTSWEAR-MANUFACTURING-CORPORATION.html

HackerF15E

bjoy said:
I know Star Sportswear was base in Massachusetts and has long since gone out of business so the jacket must have some age to it, though I have not seen this manufacturer mention in any of the G-1 topics, to new, to common? If anyone could fill me in on the history of this particular make I would greatly appreciate it.

Star Sportswear was started in the 1920s by the Russian immigrant Samuel Kurland (originally Kurlansky). It was sold to Londontown Clothing Co (now London Fog Industries) in 1970 and renamed Startown.

In the late 80's Clipper Mist and Startown were merged to recreate the Star Sportswear name.

http://www.bizapedia.com/ga/STAR-SPORTSWEAR-MANUFACTURING-CORPORATION.html

How can that timeline be correct when in this very thread we have evidence of the company being called "Star Sportswear" in 1975?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
HackerF15E said:
How can that timeline be correct when in this very thread we have evidence of the company being called "Star Sportswear" in 1975?

The names on military contracts don't always match with contemporary civilain market branding ... Doniger/McGregor Sportswear being another well known example.

bjoy

HackerF15E said:

Good question, guess they felt there was more value (or was more convenient for some reason) using the older name rather than then current subsidiary company name.

Maybe they were saving the Startown label for astronaut jackets.

JWS4th

Thank you for the help and info. I have been wearing the jacket for the last few days, excellent winter jacket, very comfortable fit. I would like to replace the cuffs and possibly the waste band. Does anyone know where I could get NOS cuffs? I was also thinking of contacting John Chapman to see if he might sell a set of knits. I will then have to find someone to sew them on trying to use the original stitch holes. I will post pictures when completed, thanks again for all the replies.