• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with potential tear issue in Original Franco Canadian (Thunderbay)

Brylcreemer

Hi all,

I recently picked up this beautiful Franco Canadian jacket with the help of a Canadian chum. It's pretty much mint, which is amazing. I have slight anxiety, however, about the belt loops - as you can see, the loops were made by cutting into the jacket, rather than sewing in external loops. At the corners, therefore, there's what potentially looks like the beginnings of tearing. I'm not sure whether to leave these be, or to try and reinforce them somehow (I'm a handy sewer up to the level of installing mouton collars/zippers).

I feel like I'm in a bit of a pickle with this, as I'm not quite sure how I'd go about reinforcing these areas, and part of me doesn't want to as I'm always of the opinion that jackets of this age should be preserved as naturally as possible, but leaving it might cause damage... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
IMG_20230327_182534.jpg
IMG_20230327_182612.jpg
IMG_20230327_182623.jpg
IMG_20230327_182626.jpg
IMG_20230327_182704.jpg
IMG_20230327_182724.jpg
IMG_20230327_182744.jpg

Brylcreemer

Bump. Really wanna wear this before it gets too hot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Am I just being silly? Is it fine?

Thanks,
Adam

Silver Surfer

if you are real concerned, the only thing I can think of is to open the bottom jacket seams in areas where the belt loops are, and glue in thinner pieces of leather [rough side to the rough] over the areas where the belt loops are set into the body. lots of work, but see it it as a no worry insurance policy.

busdrivermike

I would agree with @Silver Surfer , I would probably either cut open the liner and
Contact cement leather into it rough side to rough, you might need to cut the piece
To fit around the interior part of the belt loop as it won’t let the piece lay flat for a solid contact
Then I’d tap it with a hammer and leave it overnight with some weight on it and sew the liner back together
If you have a decent boot maker or tailor in your area they could do it and add in a couple stitches
To really secure it.