• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP! STAR SPORTSWEAR - G1 JACKET

dtai

Attachments

• 1615667479277.png
    1615667479277.png
    2 MB · Views: 123

Chandler

I see that patch in connection with a lot of Avirex multi-patch G-1s. Very curious, especially considering you can find info on a real ship with such a similar name.

B-Man2

Unfortunately that didn’t help ... I had seen a jacket with a perforated wind flap like this one time years ago and the explanation that was offered about why it looked like that was that : When the jacket was “DXed” a military term for non serviceable or declared as a item to be considered for sale to the surplus military clothing market , the wind flap would be perforated similar to what you have on your jacket . I don’t know that to be factual and I’ve never seen that information printed anywhere. I simply heard it from another collector at a military show .

dtai

I see that patch in connection with a lot of Avirex multi-patch G-1s. Very curious, especially considering you can find info on a real ship with such a similar name.
very confusing indeed.
Unfortunately that didn’t help ... I had seen a jacket with a perforated wind flap like this one time years ago and the explanation that was offered about why it looked like that was that : When the jacket was “DXed” a military term for non serviceable or declared as a item to be considered for sale to the surplus military clothing market , the wind flap would be perforated similar to what you have on your jacket . I don’t know that to be factual and I’ve never seen that information printed anywhere. I simply heard it from another collector at a military show .
Thanks for your info, very appreciated.

galvestonokie

the additional windflap punch looks like "VS31" which was an anti-submarine squadron. also, the number "24" could also indicate squadron pool jackets which were issued to people on flight orders but who had not been issued a personal jacket. some USMC squadrons spray painted the squadron and jacket numbers on the back of pool jackets to reduce pilferage by easily identifying the jacket from the outside. the "AMO" on the name tag usually indicates Aircraft Maintenance Officer, but i've never seen this superimposed over wings. i believe the jacket is real and used by VS 31 as a pool jacket. the squadron patch and name tag are a bit more suspect to me. IMHO
you can add to windflap letters with a standard leather hole punch. some USMC fliers amended the "USN" on their jackets to "USMC" this way.

bazzer

A know very little on this subject however I have watched top gun a lot and I remember the patch was popular on jackets post film release in the 80s
DSC_0047.JPG

Baz

Last edited:

Chandler

A know very little on this subject however I have watched top gun a lot and I remember the patch was popular on jackets post film release in the 80s
Baz
I saw that too and wondered if it was a ship mentioned in the film, but could find no reference.

Since you've watched it often, is there anything in the movie about the vessel -- the jacket belonged to Maverick's father, right? Maybe he is supposed to have served on the ship?

bazzer

As I stated before I know very little about this and did not mean to offend

there is no reference to this ship in the film I can recall

the story line with mavericks father is he went down in f-4 as a navy pilot so would have been stationed on an aircraft carrier as part of the yatch club

As in most films accuracy is not great

An answer to the patch could be one these reproduction patches from the 80's jackets married to an original jacket

There are often spelling mistakes in reproduction patches as there still is today
Baz

dtai

the additional windflap punch looks like "VS31" which was an anti-submarine squadron. also, the number "24" could also indicate squadron pool jackets which were issued to people on flight orders but who had not been issued a personal jacket. some USMC squadrons spray painted the squadron and jacket numbers on the back of pool jackets to reduce pilferage by easily identifying the jacket from the outside. the "AMO" on the name tag usually indicates Aircraft Maintenance Officer, but i've never seen this superimposed over wings. i believe the jacket is real and used by VS 31 as a pool jacket. the squadron patch and name tag are a bit more suspect to me. IMHO
you can add to windflap letters with a standard leather hole punch. some USMC fliers amended the "USN" on their jackets to "USMC" this way.
That's very interesting thanks for your info

Phrog Driver

Patches are weird, not sure what is going on there. The ships patch with misspelled name is a puzzle. Also that particular ship being strictly a surface unit, would not have any kind of aviation officer assigned unless there was a helicopter detachment embarked (and then everybody would be wearing their squadron patch). Also, a detachment would have a LT or a CWO as the AMO as well, not a LCDR. Designated AMO's are usually prior enlisted, non-aircrew Limited Duty Officers (cannot hold command at sea), and most all their billets are in squadrons or wings or intermediate maintenance departments ashore and afloat. So basically nothing about the jacket patches make sense, but the jacket itself is certainly legit from what I can see and you should enjoy it as such.

dtai

Patches are weird, not sure what is going on there. The ships patch with misspelled name is a puzzle. Also that particular ship being strictly a surface unit, would not have any kind of aviation officer assigned unless there was a helicopter detachment embarked (and then everybody would be wearing their squadron patch). Also, a detachment would have a LT or a CWO as the AMO as well, not a LCDR. Designated AMO's are usually prior enlisted, non-aircrew Limited Duty Officers (cannot hold command at sea), and most all their billets are in squadrons or wings or intermediate maintenance departments ashore and afloat. So basically nothing about the jacket patches make sense, but the jacket itself is certainly legit from what I can see and you should enjoy it as such.
@Phrog Driver Thanks you. I'm sort of agreed with you on the patch that its perhaps add on later. WIth the name tag looks authentic too me but I'm not the expert. all comments and suggestions are welcome.