• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help newbie with ID'ing 60's (?) G-1

brownbanana

First off I'd just like to say it's been fun browsing and learning from this forum. With some reading done, I decided to pick up a G-1.

So here goes the question, from my newbie guesstimate, I believe I had picked up a 60's G-1, though my doubts are quickly rising:

Mouton collar - light brown maybe somewhat orange shade
Problem: Could be fake. I'm a newb, so I can't tell from real mouton or fake

Knit cuffs and waist - Dark reddish brown

Zipper - conmar

Size/Manufacturer tag - missing

Windflap - No USN perforation
Is this the big give-away? No USN = a civvy model?

Other details would include that the jacket seems kind of new, the liner (khaki'ish brown color) seems to be perfect, one hole on the cuff, a small hole on the waist and some small chips on the leather. Thanks for any help and please be gentle to the newbie lol.

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum. If the Conmar zipper is original to the jacket the G-1 would date from before 1968 as Conmar became Scovill in this year. Pictures of the jacket would help to determine if its an issued jacket or a civi model, which seems likely.

MikeyB-17

Hi, and welcome. Pics would be helpful to identify your jacket. What's the back like? Is the main panel a single piece of leather, or is it in two halves? Is there evidence of a label, or has it never had one? And how are the knits? Is the waist knit a double weave (ie. does it have two distinct sections, one above the other, going in different directions) or is it a single plain piece folded over? It could be one like mine-a '62 Irvin B.Foster with a military contract label, but a two-piece back and no USN perforation. I understand they were made on the same production line as the MilSpec jackets, but were sold at the navy Exchange-apart from the back and the perforation they are the same as the issue jackets. This is mine:-

DSCF2170.jpg

DSCF2177.jpg

brownbanana

Wow, thanks guys for the great info and fast replies! I'll post the photos first, since that should get to the meat of the situation.

jacket.jpg

zip.jpg

flap.jpg

collar.jpg

back.jpg

The back panel is one piece, no center seam. I will look for the other details before getting back with the results. :D

brownbanana

Here is the info after examining the jacket,

The waist is definitely one piece folded over, no 2-way direction.
The removed label's stitch holes reveal the label to be 3 inches by 2 inches.

I'm assuming for it to be issued, it'll have the double weave waist? Just out of curiosity, would the same double weave waist apply for the E-series? (Would like to fact-check for another jacket)

Thanks again guys and not to forget thanks for the warm welcome as well.

Roughwear

It is most likely a Ralph Edwards G-1 MIL-J-7823C G-1 from around 1964. This contract did not always have the USN on the jacket at all. There is picture of one on John Chapman's CD.

rpmooreii

Hey that's my web site :D

If the waistband is original it is most likely post 1964... although I have seen two 64s with a folded over waistband.

Nice jacket...enjoy it!

...Roger

brownbanana

rpmooreii, thanks for the reply and for the great website as well!, it's about the only page online (besides this forum ofcourse) that has any meaty G-1 information.

As for the jacket, I do not spot anything sewn-over around the waistband, so I'll assume the knitted waist is original, but of course you pros have the final word on that, so I'll throw my assumptions out the window. Thanks for the compliment, I will definitely enjoy the jacket!

P.S. - Apologies for the photos, since they were hastily taken, so if any of you guys want some more, I'll get to it with better ones.

Atticus

Interesting jacket.

I almost want to say that the windflap has been replaced. Check out the angle at its top.

Unless I am mistaken, B and C series Ralph Edwards G-1s had "USN" perferated vertically into their windflaps. Roger and Hacker could say for sure, but I know that the 1962 the B-series RE that I bought for Jackie definately has such a perferation. Also, don't I recall Jason's untagged, '70s RE having this trait?

I have seen many '60s and '70s G-1s that have been de-milled by removal of their windflaps. Could this have been one such jacket that was later restored?

AF

brownbanana

Thanks for the reply Atticus,

I think my crappy photo may have distorted the angle of the windflap. It slopes normally downwards from left to right, like \ . I looked on the interior and the windflap is definitely apart of the main body like a continuous sheet of leather, not a separate attached piece, so I think I can say it hasn't been replaced.

Having said that, I'd also like to add that the zipper doesn't seem to be replaced either, as I do not spot any sewn-over threads or areas. So that should take out the replaced-zipper theory.

To summarize my observations so far, looking at the waistband, cuffs, zippers and windflap, all appear to be original as I do not spot any reconstructive work.

I'll be waiting in anticipation as you guys crack the code on this mystery G-1, lol. Thanks!

hacker

From what I can see in the photos, the color in particular, and the waistband, I have to go with a 1960's C model. It does appear all original based on wear, but I can't make out too much detail on the cuffs.

Hacker

brownbanana

Thanks hacker,
Here are more photos on the select bits that have been in question.

Waistband, front and back
IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_3742.jpg

Cuffs, both sides
IMG_3740.jpg

IMG_3739.jpg

The windflap
IMG_3737.jpg

And windflap from the interior
IMG_3738.jpg

I look forward for any further info you guys have, thanks!

Roughwear

Atticus said:
Interesting jacket. Unless I am mistaken, B and C series Ralph Edwards G-1s had "USN" perferated vertically into their windflaps. Roger and Hacker could say for sure, but I know that the 1962 the B-series RE that I bought for Jackie definately has such a perferation. AF

The Ralph Edwards G-1 MIL-J-7823C pictures on JC's CD does not have the USN perferated on the windflap and John dates the jacket to a 1964 contract.

brownbanana

Thanks for all your help roughwear. :D
Looks like there's not much more that needs to be added on, so thanks for the help everyone. I'll leave the pics around for a while longer until this thread is dead and buried lol. Take care.

A

Anonymous

Hi would you mind not using the word newbie as it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth,to an idiot we had on the forum with serious mental issues .He managed to make a good member leave the site .Many thanks Jeff .

brownbanana

No problem, lol, wouldn't want to offend anyone. That is sad to hear, but don't mine me though, I'll continue on my usual lurker mode until I've got something to ask or write about. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Hi Brownbanna I was only Joking could not help myself .Rgds Jeff