• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying old Irvin.

Hollywood

Hello Hollywood, welcome to the forum !, from your introduction it sounds as though you have a lot in common with many of forum members including myself.
I have been collecting ww2 flight gear for many years and own several originals in various degrees of originality.
There will always be rivet counters ( being a landrover buff I am sure you are familiar with that terminology) but any reputable jacket restorer would most likely be aware of what repairs can be carried out without risking de valueing your jacket.
I am not an expert by any means but to keep the jacket held together is of the upmost importance, as far as treatment i have used Pecards for many years and had no adverse affects.
Things like original zips, buckles, collar rings and collar straps are all considered assets, I also dont mind period repairs seeing them as part of the jackets history.
Although your jacket is really nice it has limited provenance, something that some collectors find important, most of mine are the same.
I just enjoy them for what they are and feel privelaged to be a guardian of historical garments and strive to keep them in good condition until it is someone elses turn to take over !.
Enjoy your jacket and your other stuff !.
Rivet counters that’s a term used for old Harley’s aswel. thanks for the reply ! I was just sitting here thinking I don’t want a Restoration I just want it to survive another 80 years. so I will need to get the upper stitching sorted out, and either have it conditioned or do it myself! Honestly collecting becomes a happy little illness haha I have an old Harley under my stairs and an old 1916 Indian board tracker I built in the kitchen , anything from David Mann prints to vintage back gammon boards lol

can you guys help to identify the zips and original parts on mine with more photos?

B-Man2

Hi
Not trying to be rude but let me suggest that all of the information that you’ve been asking about is contained here in the archives of this forum. A search of it has answers to all of your questions. For example original zips for Irvin’s are usually marked with a Crown over AM for Air Ministry. The search function would provide this information with a minimal amount of research. If you really get stuck and can’t find something we are all here to help you and would be happy to do so.
Regards

Paul Glover

I must repeat the fact that I am not an expert !, from what I can see on your photos I would say that because of the panel configuration (unless it is a very large jacket) it is a mid war jacket, not having just two panels on the back, and your sleeves seem to be made up of more pieces than my BOB examples
If this is correct I would suggest that the sleeve zip with the leather tag is 0riginal , the main zip is also original but I think it has been taken from an earlier jacket and fitted to yours, closer photos would help and again there are far more experienced and knowledgeable members who might disagree with my opinion.

blackrat2

Check Byson leather as they have a price list and they do stock original parts
To be fair you’re just looking at a little restitch here and there and probably treating the leather with Pecards, Vaseline or similar
The zips all look to be there and as Grant said don’t leave it on a hanger

Hollywood

I must repeat the fact that I am not an expert !, from what I can see on your photos I would say that because of the panel configuration (unless it is a very large jacket) it is a mid war jacket, not having just two panels on the back, and your sleeves seem to be made up of more pieces than my BOB examples
If this is correct I would suggest that the sleeve zip with the leather tag is 0riginal , the main zip is also original but I think it has been taken from an earlier jacket and fitted to yours, closer photos would help and again there are far more experienced and knowledgeable members who might disagree with my opinion.
Brilliant bit of information mate and really appreciate it! I understand the jacket world a little more after today! enjoy ur landrover!

Hollywood

Check Byson leather as they have a price list and they do stock original parts
To be fair you’re just looking at a little restitch here and there and probably treating the leather with Pecards, Vaseline or similar
The zips all look to be there and as Grant said don’t leave it on a hanger
Thanks mate , I had a look at their website after you posted this and found some great info!

Hollywood

Hi
Not trying to be rude but let me suggest that all of the information that you’ve been asking about is contained here in the archives of this forum. A search of it has answers to all of your questions. For example original zips for Irvin’s are usually marked with a Crown over AM for Air Ministry. The search function would provide this information with a minimal amount of research. If you really get stuck and can’t find something we are all here to help you and would be happy to do so.
Regards
I completely respect your opinion , but please understand that just because there’s info gathered from all the members experiences doesn’t mean I understand it all. these jackets arnt exactly like old motorcycles or art that are simple to work out. I’m reading about different panel shapes,aging, stitching, gaps in zips, zip ages, zip models, colours, modifications made by troops and inside pockets, years, sleeves , metal loops, squadron history. In most cases straps and buckles are replaced, fitted to older jackets , newer jackets , alterations ………… it’s extremely confusing

if I was to explain to you how I see it is in the vehicle world most of these jackets would be “bitsers” (bikes made up of parts from all eras and garage modifications) lol making it extremely confusing for a newby when searching this forum.

I will continue to search as best I can but I’m afraid it will create more questions than answers but il do my best to learn and understand lol

JonnyCrow

Rivet counters that’s a term used for old Harley’s aswel. thanks for the reply ! I was just sitting here thinking I don’t want a Restoration I just want it to survive another 80 years. so I will need to get the upper stitching sorted out, and either have it conditioned or do it myself! Honestly collecting becomes a happy little illness haha I have an old Harley under my stairs and an old 1916 Indian board tracker I built in the kitchen , anything from David Mann prints to vintage back gammon boards lol

can you guys help to identify the zips and original parts on mine with more photos?
Same as stitch counters in reenactment haha

MikeyB-17

A couple of years ago I bought a 50’s G-1 which sadly didn’t fit, which had a mouton collar that was going to need replacing. A couple of lads were decent enough to furnish me with contacts for folk who did decent repair work. One of them was [email protected]
Another was Hang Up Vintage:-
I have previously used Aero Leather Clothing in Scotland, but they are always busy and repairs took ages. I have heard not particularly great things about Byson. Welcome, by the way.

MikeyB-17

It was yer man Smithy wot recommended her, she apparently used to work for Cirrus and has done a good job for a couple of members, and is definitely here in Blighty. Likewise Mr. 917_k of this parish recommended Hang Up and speaks highly of them.

Chris 55

Hi! I’m new here but not new to forums, I’m on many vintage bike and Landrover forums. firstly I love this forum! what a great way to keep history alive!

So, a little about myself , I collect stuff, after working on fighter jets for years and building vintage bikes I had started to collect items well into my 30s , war flags, vintage Indian and Harley Davidson stuff . so this has lead to an unhealthy obsession at collecting items at the age of 33 .

I currently serve with a Battle of Britain historian , most of his stuff is in museums etc and he has documented interviews with pilots and has ended up with a large collection of bomber clothing, spitfire clothing and hurricane squadron items including signatures.

He found out I was after a flight jacket to hang off of a 1916 Indian and as a gift he has given me what I believe to be an early Irvine jacket. this was given to the vicar at biggin hill from a former wife of a spitfire pilot who flew out of there, the jacket was with other items.

I was wondering someone with more experience than myself could identify a year or era of this jacket or any history etc

From my understanding many of these jackets from spitfires had repairs in the left arm? Due to the less fitted jackets getting caught on the spitfire drop door having a crow bar and spike fitted with sharp ends. mine has two repairs on the right arm in the same place?

thanks for reading and any help would be appreciated

I can see that the main zip has been replaced at somepoint. Its worth getting the stitch work done but be careful who you use.