• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying a patch

jonnyboy

Hi guys,

Does anyone recognise this patch? It's on a tanker jacket, but is USAAF I think.

070608-F-1234P-004.jpg

I'm looking at buying a repro tanker as an everyday knockabout jacket, and thought I'd try to patch it like this one. I'd appreciate any help in identifying this patch.

Thanks,

Jon

Silver Dollar

It looks like it would belong to some king of fighter squadron that flew P38's. If you can get a good head on shot of the patch it would be very helpful.

Silver Dollar

Let me take a look through some pictures. I live only 2 1/2 hours away from the museum and I'm there a couple of times a month. If I haven't got a pic of it now, I'll go look and see what I can find on my next visit, possibly next week. Give me a little time and I'll try to help.

Silver Dollar

Aw shucks. :oops: Not a problem. All I need is a little time. If I can wangle it, I'll be up there on Thursday the 22 of April. It all depends on a meeting I have this Thursday. I just hope that jacket is still there. They change things around sometimes but I do remember that display being there.

Silver Dollar

Hey jonnyboy. I'll be going up to the AF Musseum on Friday. I'll be taking my camera and I'll be looking for that jacket patch. Just a few more days and we got it.

jonnyboy

Hi Silver Dollar,

That's great news - thanks so much for offering to take a picture of the jacket and patch. Hopefully I'll be able to test my patch painting skills and paint a version of it!!

Cheers,

Jon

Silver Dollar

Hey Jon, I got a great shot of the patch on that tanker's jacket. It definitely is a p38 with a wolf riding it. In fact, the display case is right in front of the P38 itself. I'll do a little Photoshop to the correct the colors and I'll get it to you. I also took pics of a bunch of other patches you may be interested in. Lots and lots of good stuff.

442RCT

Silver Dollar said:
Hey Jon, I got a great shot of the patch on that tanker's jacket. It definitely is a p38 with a wolf riding it. In fact, the display case is right in front of the P38 itself. I'll do a little Photoshop to the correct the colors and I'll get it to you. I also took pics of a bunch of other patches you may be interested in. Lots and lots of good stuff.

P-38 Squadrons
p-38sqns.jpg

Silver Dollar

I'll post the patch as soon as I can get it onto Photobucket. It belongs to the 38th Fighter Squadron of the 55th FG when they were flying the P38's. It's similar to the two patches on the left. As an aside, the patch was put on the jacket while the wearer was in a German POW camp in 1943. It looks like they changed it after they switched to P 51's in 1944.

jonnyboy

Thanks Silver Dollar, and for the info about the patch's history. Hopefully I'll be able to do it justice when I have a go at painting it!

Thanks 442RCT for the other P38 Squadron patch photos - are these all patches that you have painted? They're great!

Cheers,

Jon

442RCT

jonnyboy said:
Thanks Silver Dollar, and for the info about the patch's history. Hopefully I'll be able to do it justice when I have a go at painting it!

Thanks 442RCT for the other P38 Squadron patch photos - are these all patches that you have painted? They're great!

Cheers,

Jon

I thought one of the P-38 wolf patches was what Silver Dollar was talking about. No, I didn't paint any of the patches shown...they were patches off the internet I downloaded for my patch/nose art/jacket archives. I think Jerome incised/painted the one on the lower left.

shedonwanna

442RCT said:
jonnyboy said:

Cheers,

Jon

I thought one of the P-38 wolf patches was what Silver Dollar was talking about. No, I didn't paint any of the patches shown...they were patches off the internet I downloaded for my patch/nose art/jacket archives. I think Jerome incised/painted the one on the lower left.

The top two, 428th and 429th , are painted by me. The 428th image was inverted but both appear to have come from my photobucket album. Her are two versions of the 428th I painted:

428thfsc.jpg

442RCT

Were your 2 patches, just paint on leather ?
Or was the leather embossed or incised first to get that wonderful clean three dimensional effect ?

shedonwanna

442RCT said:
Were your 2 patches, just paint on leather ?
Or was the leather embossed or incised first to get that wonderful clean three dimensional effect ?

The bottom patch is debossed - the leather is moistened and a stylus (ball point pen) can be used to transfer the design into the leather. I draw the design on a piece of tracing film and trace using the stylus onto the leather. If you wanted to incise the next step would be to follow the debossed lines with a knife. This is just basic leatherworking technique and you can find detailed descriptions on the net these days (you tube). I used this technique mostly when I first started making squadron patches. I had tooled leather for years and it was a natural process for me. The big drawback is that the debossed/tooled lines are permanent and changes are difficult; so, I stopped debossing but some of my customers still request it. If a vintage patch had been made this way I still paint it that way. Goat and garment leather does not tool very well - I use veg tanned cowhide. Veg tanned goat does incise nicely.

The top patch with the blue-green background is just painted without tooling. Very easy to paint over and make changes...