• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID my Flight Helmet?

a2jacketpatches

I bought this along with an odd mix of other items. A WW1 gas mask complete in the carrier, 1943 dated Mae West, WW1 leggings, Signal Corps Flag kit in the pouch, med kit WW2, WW1 horse feed bag, SAC Patches, a WW2 Duffel Bag, and M1956 & M1961 Field Packs. All for 150- I can't find this leather helmet anywhere, hoping that means it's a rare one.
FlightHelmet001.jpg

FlightHelmet002.jpg

FlightHelmet003.jpg

FlightHelmet004.jpg

unclegrumpy

Its a 1930's era training helmet. I am almost positive it is the Navy version. They don't always have the gossport tubing still with them. I would not call these rare, but you do not see them too often either.

Andrew

I would agree with Corey, looks very Navy to me too, a lot like later Slote and Klein made ones. Does the chinstrap form a chip cup perhaps or is it just a flap that lines the underside of the jaw? Most Navy helmets had them.
Its been ages since I collected headgear so im rusty but have you checked to see if its in Mick Prodgers book? I'm away at the moment otherwise I'd take a look. Great to see it still has metal tube gosports.

a2jacketpatches

Just a cushioned strap, no chin cup. I did find one on Ebay called Navy Cadet Flying Helmet. But no specific markings besides the size tag 7-3/4. I don't have any books on flight gear as I'm mainly a jacket and patch buff.

dmar836

Interesting with the metal "Y" and mouth piece. I've never seen an all metal gosport system. Must be quite early.

Dave

unclegrumpy

dmar836 said:
Interesting with the metal "Y" and mouth piece. I've never seen an all metal gosport system. Must be quite early.
I dug out Prodger's book on flight helmets, he confirms that this is a 1930's design. He calls it a "USN training helmet, used during the 1930's and throughout WW II".

You are correct though, the earlier gossport set ups often have metal mouth pieces too. I have one of these helmets, and this is a heavy duty design....I am sure made to stand up to the continued abuse of panicked instructors yelling and screaming. :lol:

dmar836

Great stuff. I'd say you did okay on that lot!
Anyone with ideas about the glued on patches on the top of the life vest? Looks maybe like tabs through which a strap would go.
Dave

Phantomfixer

Dave,
Agreed, To me the glue marks look like the fourth strap being added. There was a T.O. that called for the strap to be glued on in the field. Never seen two strap attempt though. Maybe like the B-5??? Two straps better than one?
Pg 175 as stated just calls the helmet a training helmet...
John