• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID-ing a (maybe) vintage military blanket

Nnatalie

I found this blanket at the thrift store today and brought it home to @mulceber . I don’t actually know if it’s vintage or a former military blanket, but it has a couple markings, so I figured I’d see if any of you recognize anything.

The blanket feels like it’s at least part wool, but I haven’t tested it to know for sure. It has a felted, slightly hairy texture. From comparing it to my own height, I’d guess it’s about 4ft by 6 ft.

The first photo is of a strip of cloth with printed numbers. I think the cloth is somehow fused or stuck on, and then stitched in the two visible places. The number doesn’t look like a WWII-era army service number, but it could perhaps be from another country, branch, era, etc. Or the number came from a non-military source, of course (disaster relief, Boy Scouts, something like that). I’m hoping somebody here might recognize the format.

The second picture is of a torn area that @mulceber was eagle-eyed enough to notice looks like it’s in the shape of a printed or stitched “DU.” I have no idea what this could mean.

Any ideas or information would be greatly appreciated! And even if this turns out to just be a random modern blanket, I’ll be pleased with having bought it for only $5 (and then I can call it a reproduction )

IMG_9049.jpeg

IMG_9050.jpeg