• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help educate me in this style of vintage jacket? (Will likely be my first purchase!)

Hey all! So I came here originally looking for flight jacket info, but am now venturing out into a category of general vintage leather jacket. The thing is, this is all new to me, and so while I'm finding some results on the usual sites, I know I need (and want!) a lot more info and knowledge to narrow and inform my searches. And it's just cool learning about this stuff :).

A bit ago I posted asking about one jacket in particular, whose pics I'll repost here in a sec. I'm adding to it a few more I've gathered. At the end, I'll go over all my observations and the features I'm looking for and maybe you can help sharpen my search...

315293048_10223738155946549_7448838235481871988_n.jpg

315379145_10223738156066552_8449984662444878692_n.jpg

315368186_10223738156266557_7101210899767030384_n.jpg

s-l500-1-jpg.95935

s-l500 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (31).jpg

s-l1600 (32).jpg

s-l1600 (33).jpg

So here goes! The things I tend to like here are a short length (torso shorter than sleeves), a "standard" collar (no clue what to call this), this general color (I'm guessing I want horsehide, but maybe steer as well?), belt back, pretty clean lines/not too much embellishment (though I do love love love the lines on that first one). I think that's about it (so far).

Seems like Aero made a lot of these; maybe that's all I need to know. That first one was by Campus.

Anyway, any and all info you can provide would be really helpful- name(s) for this style, manufacturers to look out for, any info in general you think might help me, etc.

Excited about this first one. Glad to get your help!

Thanks!

Attachments

• s-l500 (1).jpg
    s-l500 (1).jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 457
  • s-l1600 (32).jpg
    s-l1600 (32).jpg
    232 KB · Views: 70
  • s-l1600 (33).jpg
    s-l1600 (33).jpg
    360.9 KB · Views: 69

bn1966

Nice looking jacket, if you haven’t already the Fedora Lounge forum is another great source for info on vintage wear…

mulceber

seems like Aero made a lot of these
"Makes" - present tense. ;) The Aero you posted isn't vintage, just well-worn. Here are a couple of Aero's jackets that fit your description and look pretty close to the ones you showed:

And three by Bill Kelso:

The thing is, I’d rather go vintage for a number of reasons. That’s why I was curious more about: history, style, brands, context, etc. Unless this is just another leather jacket and there’s not much to say :\. Example: “oh those were Glaston jackets. Very popular in the 1280s. Made from puffins and beeswax. Look out for the built in tea shelf- increases the value!” :)

As a real example, I noticed these are usually horsehide. Is that something of note? I figured most leather was cow and wouldn’t think this one had any reason not to be, but here they are, mostly in horse. Curious about that.

Etc. etc. etc.

blackrat2

If your asking what to search for then look on the GW and Aero sites for the styles,,,Cafe Racers, Highwayman etc etc then search those on eBay, I think that’s what your asking

mulceber

I think the issue is that he wants to buy vintage. To that end, I don't really know what search term would work. I'm not sure that style even had an agreed-upon name, beyond "half-belt." I guess just search "vintage leather jacket half belt" and prepare to pick through a lot of listings before you find a style that you like that fits.

Last edited:

Southoftheborder

One thing about vintage is that these days an eighties jacket is classed as vintage. The other is the difficulty of buying seventy year old jackets that are still wearable. I first started buying post war utility jackets in the seventies when they were less than thirty years old - like a mid nineties jacket today. But although there are still a lot of old jackets around I haven't bought one I could wear for nearly ten years and that was the first for a long time. That's why I buy repros.

If you could still get originals in good wearable condition that didn't look like they had been worn on the job by a building worker I would still buy them. I don't like worn out leather though so that's just me.

Look for horsehide jackets and steerhide jackets and under vintage clothing on eBay. They are still around.

mulceber

Yeah, I agree - if you want a wearer, it's probably better to find a nice used repro. Tons of repro half belts around.

Micawber

One thing about vintage is that these days an eighties jacket is classed as vintage. The other is the difficulty of buying seventy year old jackets that are still wearable. I first started buying post war utility jackets in the seventies when they were less than thirty years old - like a mid nineties jacket today. But although there are still a lot of old jackets around I haven't bought one I could wear for nearly ten years and that was the first for a long time. That's why I buy repros.

If you could still get originals in good wearable condition that didn't look like they had been worn on the job by a building worker I would still buy them. I don't like worn out leather though so that's just me.

Look for horsehide jackets and steerhide jackets and under vintage clothing on eBay. They are still around.

Precisely my thoughts. That, plus pecking through myriads of poorly described and dated jackets by vendors with potentially little knowledge of sizing or how to measure a garment correctly. Couple that with the fact many have a somewhat optimistic idea of condition will potentially keep the OP busy and very likely disappointed more than once especially if a vintage garment requires repair. A lot depends on the OP's region of course but in this instance a reproduction is potentially the best bet.

Wright Field

I hate to break it to you guys, but we’re now as far the ‘80s as the ‘80s were from WWII.
Damn, I feel old!

JonnyCrow

I hate to break it to you guys, but we’re now as far the ‘80s as the ‘80s were from WWII.
Damn, I feel old!
Exactly, my Spanish made B15 style clone is 40 years old nearly, haha ( 1984 ) 70's boots and jackets, half a century old, I feel old also :D

Southoftheborder

Damn, I feel old!

Yep, that was my point.

Back then you could buy them in good wearable condition. But not so much now when all that time has passed. I don't just feel old BTW, I am old.