• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

helmet type P-3

dujardin

a friend have this one for sale.

but before i buy this P-3, i wish to know if it's easy and how much it will cost to complete her.
and most important, in wich years (era) was the P-3 in use. did he saw service in Korea? or before ?
and what would be a reasonnable price for this helmet?
and also what type of oxy mask must be place on this P-3 ?
and also what type of goggles?

here some photos

2010_111220100430bis0004.jpg

2010_111220100430bis0006.jpg

2010_111220100430bis0011.jpg

2010_111220100430bis0008.jpg

many thanks
marcel

unclegrumpy

I think that is a decent P-3 helmet that is worth plus or minus around $100. If it had a nice visor, and was in a little bit better overall condition, it would be in the $150 to maybe $250 range. Adding a mask would add $50 to $125+ depending on how nice it was. The masks suffer from rot and rips from age, and can be hard to find in nice shape.

As far as finding the right parts for these, I have never found that to be easy. There are a lot of minor differences in these various "P" helmets based on shell size, the exact model, and time period. They also had many many updates over their lives, and that can be hard to sort out as well, as most helmets have been modified or upgraded so the number inside them does not really tell you what model the helmet you are looking at actually is.

I think if it is cheap, this helmet would be a good starting point. However, I think you probably would be better off holding out at least for one that already has a visor, and better yet a mask as well. A complete unit will cost between $250 and $500+, but in my experience is a much better way to go with these, as they can be very tough project helmets.

Good luck!

PS: Stu's links have the some of the best information available on these helmets.

dujardin

many thanks for your answer

i think i will take this one to my friend; maybe a little cheaper.
and than start the procedure to complete slowly.
and also, maybe i will try to found the equipment (parts) used by belgian AirForce.
this is the origin of this helmet, belgian pilot from Florennes Airbase (flying Thunderstreak).

thanks again

byeeeeee
marcel

CHECK6

Marcel there were no BELGIAN AIR FORCE parts ,US only ,cause it was issued with the aircraft equipment (F-84,....)look at old pictures when the "thunderjets,thunderstreaks and thunderflashes "were delivered to units ,every pilots recevied his plane and on a table in the hangar there was the helmet,and g suit for each pilot,the helmet (we have 2 P3 and 1 P2 in the museum)got the us air force decals on them when issued.
have a good day
FAB

unclegrumpy

Be sure you really study the pictures of P-3's in the links from the previous posts, as the visor frame for this helmet is specific to it. Note the P-3 frame has a center metal pull tab that was deleted from later visors. It also does not have the center track rail the P-4A's had. I am pretty sure the P-3 visor frames come in sizes, but I am not sure if the size is relative to the helmet shell size or to better tailor the fit to the wearer's face.

Good Luck!

bebel

Newby on the forum, I only see this post today. I am collecting vintage USAF/USN flightgears and helmets (also jackets!). So, Marcel, this P-3 has been upgraded to P-4 version. The H-75/AIC radio set is making the difference. Moreover, direct factory issued P-4 shells were made with fiberglass.
The P-3 was used in Korea. Not the P-4 which was coming in 1955.
Be aware of the mic version for the mask. The ww2 type AN-MC-1 microphone is correct for the P-3s HS-38 radio set, but not for the P-4s H-75/AIC. The MS-22001, in this case, must have the rectangular M-32/AIC mic with PJ-292 plug.

Hope that it helps you!

Franck

P-3

P-4

dujardin

hello Franck

thanks for your great answer.
wowww, i'm lost with all those details.
in fact, i simply wish to bring this helmet back as he was in 195? when used by Belgian Air Force.
i already receive a part of answer by Check6 but not yet took time to search missing parts.
no emergency with this piece of equipment.
i jump on this helmet because he came from a unit based at Florennes airbase, my fetish belgian Air Force base.

thanks again for your answer

marcel