• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello there, new here and collecting USN Flight Jackets

Cyril

Hello there,
I have been visiting the forum for a while now and am impressed by the wealth of information and friendly sharing of your knowledge. About ten years ago I got my hands on my first old Navy flight jacket...well the family has been growing ever since. I thought it was about time I joined in and shared some pictures of my jackets with you. Looking forward to a lively exchange.
Greetings from Berlin, Cyril

below:
Gordon Ferguson ANJ-3a approx.1944,
the pilot (Lt. Roy Lee Konewko USNR) flew B-24 Liberators from Dunkeswell, England for VPB-105, an anti-submarine squadron during WW2

other jackets are a Monarch (AER) 1951, a NOS Ralph Edwards (AER) approx. 1957, a Ralph Edwards Model C (WEP) from 1965 and a Brill Bros. Model D (WEP) from 1970
Pictures of those will be added later.

P1090112.JPG
P1090115.JPG
P1090117.JPG
P1090118.JPG
P1090120.JPG
P1090124.JPG
P1090126.JPG
P1090127.JPG

blackrat2

Hi Cyril and welcome
Thanks for posting those jackets up and really nice collection you have going on
Do you wear any of these at all

Cyril

Hi Cyril and welcome
Thanks for posting those jackets up and really nice collection you have going on
Do you wear any of these at all
Hi there, the Ralph Edwards (C-model 1965, size 38) was my first jacket and was a NOS, fitted me perfectly so i made my daily-wearer out of it. They are all in a wearable condition, even the ANJ-3a but they differ a lot in the way they fit. The Ralph Edwards (AER) for example is a size 40, feels tighter around the waist compared to the size 38 c-model but much loser around the chest and has much more "baloony" arms. The Monarch (AER) was added recently and will certainly be worn as it comes closer to sharper 60s models. On the Monarch the collar had to be replaced with a vintage mouton. The previous owner had it replaced some years ago but used a dynal one (also happens this way around ;)). The patched on is a lttle large for me and i think i would feel a little "disguised" walking around in it. But as always this is just a personal choice.

MikeyB-17

Good to have you with us, Cyril. Really nice collection you have there, and you’re in the right place as there are a few chaps here who are into Navy jackets-I imagine you’ve already found the ‘a better fighting garment’ thread in the vintage section. I’ve owned I don’t know how many G-1’s over the years, sold them all and am now left with a label-less Dynel-collared late model, but the hide is fantastic. You’re quite right about the sizing, varies enormously from maker to maker, you can find 44’s that won’t zip up, and 40’s that are huge.

B-Man2

Welcome to VLJ Cyril and thank you for sharing those photos of your outstanding collection of USN Flight jackets. You have some real gems. What makes your collection even more impressive is, that living in Germany, jackets of this vintage and quality are more difficult to find than they might be here in the US . The Monarch and Ralph Edwards look almost in mint condition. Once again welcome !

KeepmflyinTX

Cyril, from one new guy to another, Welcome ! Your collection of Navy jackets is amazing. Thanks for sharing your images. You have definitely come to the right place. Great bunch of people here.

Cyril

Welcome to VLJ Cyril and thank you for sharing those photos of your outstanding collection of USN Flight jackets. You have some real gems. What makes your collection even more impressive is, that living in Germany, jackets of this vintage and quality are more difficult to find than they might be here in the US . The Monarch and Ralph Edwards look almost in mint condition. Once again welcome !
Thank you. You are right, it is not like you find a lot of them here. Mostly private collectors who sell one from time to time. There is of no such thing as Army-Navy-Supply Shops selling flightgear that you could just walk in. Two of the jackets came from secondhand-shops in the UK, the patched one was the only one i got in the US, an early ebay find.