• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headwind Goldsmith

Smithy

...oh and if anybody goes off and orders a Headwind jacket now after all this shit which has been documented here and it doesn't turn up, don't come crying and moping around here. It's not like you haven't been forewarned and forearmed after experiences like this have been made blatantly obvious.

Some of the shittiest business ethics and behaviour we've seen on here for quite sometime.

johnwayne

Can the moderators here not put any pressure on Jay/Headwind like banning him? I find this all very sad and disappointing, most of his input I’ve read made him sound a decent bloke but now even his recent ‘health’ issues sound somewhat like they might have been just be a shroud! Surely not???

Silver Surfer

Health issues are not always physical. Jay has put a lot of time and energy into sussing out pre war aac and navy jackets. He than made major contributions on this forum to that end……….and than poof, he’s gone. This has happened a few times with jay. So, could it be that “health issues” are something that would fit a pattern of enthusiasm followed by lack of communication, and repeated? Kinda like a form of depression, or other kind of not good wiring. IMO, the man is not a scam artist, just for unknown reasons, a screw up.

Last edited:

mulceber

That’s fair, Vic, but at a certain point it’s Jay’s responsibility to be self-aware enough to know that this isn’t working and he isn’t able to deliver the goods in a timely manner. When Stu is still waiting almost 2 years in while Jay is claiming on his eBay page that “production time is usually 4 weeks,” there’s some real dishonesty going on.

Brettafett

Ive been sitting on the sidelines and have not yet commented... I appreciate folks' experiences and the concerns raised...

I am also one who chose to put in an order early on, enthused as I was with what I saw developing with the Church.
This would be my second jacket with Headwind, made by Steve Sellers, the HL Block that didn't fit.
It was a fantastic jacket, not 100% accurate according to some, in some details (?), but this jacket was over-and-above my ELC M-422a in terms of leather, knits and vintage mouton...

I have had communications with Jay over the last weeks and days. He did offer me a refund, but I chose to push ahead with the jacket... He has assured me that it is underway.

Will I have a jacket to show in a couple of weeks, I certainly hope so... Time will tell.

Last edited:

London Cabbie

That’s fair, Vic, but at a certain point it’s Jay’s responsibility to be self-aware enough to know that this isn’t working and he isn’t able to deliver the goods in a timely manner. When Stu is still waiting almost 2 years in while Jay is claiming on his eBay page that “production time is usually 4 weeks,” there’s some real dishonesty going on.
Is he really claiming 4 weeks..?

London Cabbie

Ive been sitting on the sidelines and have not yet commented... I appreciate folks' experiences and the concerns raised...

I am also one who chose to put in an order early on, enthused as I was with what I saw developing with the Church.
This would be my second jacket with Headwind, the first being that HL Block that didn't fit.
It was a fantastic jacket, not 100% accurate according to some, in some details (?), but this jacket over-and-above my ELC M-422a in terms of leather, knits and vintage mouton...

I have had communications with Jay over the last weeks and days. He did offer me a refund, but I chose to push ahead with the jacket... He has assured me that it is underway.

Will I have a jacket to show in a couple of weeks, I certainly hope so... Time will tell.
Where’s my refund, where’s my jacket, where’s my communication..?

Nickb123

Slipped on my ELC A-1 today. Sure it may be basic compared to some of Jay’s models which have cool raised pockets and such, but for an A-1, it’s worth seeking out one used or even new. Probably less headache, even if costing much more new.

I hope those who have been in the thick of this mess can find resolutions ASAP. And it really is a shame because Jay had a really cool era he was replicating from.

mulceber

Is he really claiming 4 weeks..?

Yep, that’s a verbatim quote from his current A-1 listing.
84783886-2EB2-4452-BE86-810093ACCF2D.jpeg

Last edited:

B-Man2

I was reading this thread and the thought occurred to me that the old adage of :
“Those who ignore history … are doomed to repeat it“ applies here.
All of the information anyone needed ….pro and con …. to make an informed decision as to whether or not to invest your hard earned money, was posted in the threads of this forum .Take note of that fact for future purchases .

Last edited:

Smithy

Whatever people have going on in their lives, be it personal problems or other things, if you take someone's money then you better bloody give them what they paid for within a reasonable amount of time.

All this maybe he had problems or other stuff going on that some have said - what a bunch of arse. Sorry if that sounds harsh but if somebody gives you money for something then you better deliver it or give their money back. Especially after 2 years. If you can't sort your shit out in 2 years then you shouldn't be in business, let alone taking people's money in the first place.

B-Man2

You nailed it perfectly Tim !
Well said .
At the very least, send the buyer a one line communication offering those options. I can’t imagine an explanation that could possibly exist for not sending a one line communication, over two years, to a buyer who’s paid you in full for a jacket. Unless you've been in a coma for that period of time .

Last edited:

Smithy

You nailed it perfectly Tim !
Well said .
At the very least, send the buyer a one line communication offering those options. I can’t imagine an explanation that could possibly exist for not sending a one line communication, over two years, to a buyer who’s paid you in full for a jacket. Unless you've been in a coma for that period of time .

What's especially despicable is Jay was on here just recently touting his Church M422a reproduction, so effectively asking others to cough up the cash when Cabbie has been waiting 2 years for his jacket.

I know there's people around here who love to make excuses for people but that just doesn't cut the mustard. If you take someone's money and don't deliver in a reasonable or pre agreed timeframe, that's theft, pure and bloody simple.

Jay is a complete wanker for doing this.

Not that it makes any difference what someone's job is, but Cabbie is a taxi driver, he's not an international corporate merger lawyer with 15 Ferraris and money to burn so I imagine spending this kind of money is a big undertaking for him, he can't just write it off.

Shame on Jay for fucking over a fellow member. This kind of thing is never right no matter what the excuse.