• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have You Heard the Story of Flak Bait?

B-Man2

While many of you are familiar with the nose art and painted A2 jacket “Flak Bait” do you know the history and the story of the aircraft that bore this name?

58C043B4-924F-4E48-8B6B-4FA660B67C01.jpeg

It’s an interesting story, so I thought that some of you who aren’t familiar with the history of this aircraft, might enjoy learning about it . Cheers

58C043B4-924F-4E48-8B6B-4FA660B67C01.jpeg

Otter

Didn't she have to be flown with something like 12 degrees of offset rudder as her fuselage had been so twisted ?

If left to the Smithsonian she will be stripped down to bare metal and repainted. Have they never heard of patina ?

ES335

Flak Bait may well have been built in Martin's massive Middle River, Maryland factory, a few minutes from my home in Baltimore. Some of the old assembly buildings still stand, but to the best of my knowledge are unused. The runway is still used by the Maryland Air National Guard flying A-10s. Gotta love that whistling miliary jet sound.

Grant

I was such a dope and only took these. I was far too busy talking to the Smithsonian crew and listening to them tell stores of what they were finding. They showed me one recent discovery which was a line etched in the wood deck that led to what they thought was a German 7.92mm slug still embedded. Also, discarded cigarette packs and other debris left by her crew. Also, the many many hand cut patch repairs to the aluminum skin from flak.

Goinghome82

I can't wait to see her when she's fully assembled and on display. Always been a fan of the B-26 and its a shame more aren't around. Flak bait is a museum in itself!