• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hard jeans.. what can I expect?

Tim P

bought for 40 quid a pair of US Army jeans from a french dealer. cinch back, selvedge with a nice QM label in impossibly stiff indigo denim. One wash caused a minor shrink, no drama, but these things are impossible to wear. they are like cardboard. How long before some fade ( I know thats a taboo concept on here) but more importantly some suppleness?

Cobblers161

Wear 'em round the house Tim, possibly damp them down a bit. Also one could try a long cold soak with a little agitation, should help to release a bit more starch.To be honest I'd have thought the initial wash would have disposed of much of the starch nevertheless a bit of good old wear should do the trick.

Tim P

So is it starch?

I did one standard 40 degree wash on them. Once on they werent uncomfortable to wear I have to say, although they could do with being a lot softer.

Grant

Hey Tim, If you bought a pair or WWII denim cinch back dungarees they're worth a lot more than you paid for them. They're worth even more if you can avoid washing them and whatever you do DO NOT put them in the dryer. If you do wash them Cobbler's advice about a simple cold soak with minimum agitation is sound advice. If you own what I think you own you have a rare pair of denim. Congrats

watchmanjimg

deand said:
Ever post something you wish you could delete? I did in this thread.

dean

If you're concerned about your advice in light of Grant's post, don't be. Tim's a big boy and if he wants to wear these rare trousers it's his call. You merely offered a suggestion in response to his post.

ace1967

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think i bought the same jeans. They are well made, selvedge denim trousers. bought a pair from him at the Ciney military fair (Belguim). From what i understand, he has them made in Thailand.
At 50 euro's a pair this is quite a bargain considering a reproduction big E Levis sets me back at least 3 times as much....
I rather use that money for a new flight jacket.
As for the stifness ; just wear them raw.

Tim P

sorry, I did not specify original.. they werent just to set the record straight..
they will be the same ones ace1967 is referring to and they are every bit as good as repro selvedge levis.. I want them to be comfortable and am unconcerned whether they fade naturally or whether they remain unfaded..

apba1166

Cold soak as suggested, and wring dry, flatten and hang until you can bear to wear them cold and wet. Wear them wet for as long as you can stand it (sit on towels, may bleed, etc.). Re-hang until just a little damp, wear again all day until fully dry. Then wear again next day, they should soften a bit by then, and it's all downhill from there.