• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hap and Tink, 1936

zoomer

Brig. Gen. Henry Arnold had had his first star for just under a year when, as commander of the 1st Bomb Wing, he posed with base CO Lt. Col. Clarence Tinker at Hamilton Field, CA, on January 10, 1936.

Both Arnold's Werber A-2 and his Martin B-10 bear the 1st Wing headquarters insignia.

Tinker's quietly flamboyant style is given a British flavor by his pinned collar, mustache wax and swagger stick.

Last edited:

zoomer

What color is Hap's scarf? Pix of pilots in the western commands sometimes show these type scarves in place of white.

And what has he tucked into his waistband? It's not a holster or flight helmet; might it be another kind of hat?

Last edited:

Falcon_52

Nice picture! Tinker is my favorite pilot from back in the old days (see my avatar). :)

I'm not sure what Hap Arnold has on his left hip. It almost appears like a knit hat of some kind.

Noel

zoomer

Tinker was remembered as tough, earnest, but possessed of a quiet humor and a great concern for his men, and in turn greatly respected by them. His fatal crash at sea was blamed on the early B-24's incapability of staying in the air on two engines, and two of Tinker's engines apparently failed.

Pilot

Nice picture! Tinker is my favorite pilot from back in the old days (see my avatar). :)

I'm not sure what Hap Arnold has on his left hip. It almost appears like a knit hat of some kind.

Noel
The scarf might be an OD shawl... IMHO...
Tough Gentlemen , both...
Thx for sharing.