• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hand Guided Embroidery / L2B 4th FG Patch for Rutger

a2jacketpatches

I'll be demonstrating the progress of this patch from start to finish for info purposes (Dean). It's more of a fun hobby method to me as the time involved exceeds normal everyday production in my shop, it's just not practical and I'd starve trying to make a living at it. That being said, I'm not worried about competition here and I share all secrets learned since I did the first one about ten years ago. This process is for hire in my shop but quite pricey.

Using an older Singer zig zag from the 60's I think. This is probably 3 hours into it at the last photo where the background circle is complete. Using material from an old flour sack, nice loose weave allows for the stitching to penetrate without distorting and stretching the fabric. I've got minimal tension set on the machine and the back thread is a bit lighter than the top thread, this allows the top thread to dominate and reach around to the back as opposed to the back thread popping through the top. Also, I chopped out some of the walking foot with my dremel and a cutting disk so I could see what's going on while stitching. All that's really needed is enough foot to hold down the fabric so the needle and thread don't pull up the work, the foot is now just a upside down U shape, before it was more of a squared off A shape with the needle going through the enclosed top part of the A. Will post photos of this detail next time around. This seems to be a quick process compared to hand embroidery, but it is very intense requiring focus in one small area for a period of time. 3 hours of that will make you want to puke. Getting older so the eyes aren't what they used to be and I'll take a days break now, but hey, still got lead in the pencil :lol:
Embroidered4thFG001_zps39e32b47.jpg

Embroidered4thFG002_zps1c5e676a.jpg

Embroidered4thFG003_zps72a3a183.jpg

Embroidered4thFG001_zps8bc6b7a0.jpg

dmar836

Nice job. I chopped out the middle of my walking foot to after JC advised. Makes a difference for sure.
Can't wait to see this done. I've been thinking about giving one a go.
Dave

a2jacketpatches

Here's the foot I modified. I usually do a nicer job but couldn't find my safety goggles and did most of it with eyes closed using the FORCE :lol: Starting another thread about a machine I've had a while but can't seem to get working right. Looks like a hat machine Dave.
sewingmachine001_zpsbf79e2df.jpg