• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW Poughkeepsie

havocpaul

I've been impressed by some of the recent GW with that new HH but at the risk of being controversial, I am not keen on the 'cardboardy' (can't think of a better word) look on this jacket's hide.

Roughwear

I know what you mean Paul, but the stiffer-looking areas will hopefully disappear when the jacket is broken in.

Andrew

Funny how preferences work- I love the look of this leather with it's flat stiff areas adjacent to grainy ones and really don't enjoy smooth and soft leather types.

handworn

Looks like that Vermont Espresso HH to me, not the new stuff.

havocpaul said:
I've been impressed by some of the recent GW with that new HH but at the risk of being controversial, I am not keen on the 'cardboardy' (can't think of a better word) look on this jacket's hide.

havocpaul

Andrew said:
Funny how preferences work- I love the look of this leather with it's flat stiff areas adjacent to grainy ones and really don't enjoy smooth and soft leather types.
I don't like smooth leather either but this just doesn't look right to me, personal preference I know.

Tim P

this is the one I would choose having had an original. My favourite contract. I wanna thnk that my suggestion to make these inspired John.. ;) I doubt it though.... :) the fit looks sympathetic to my body shape.

CBI

Since my GW Werber just arrived I am unable to call John and say. "I'll take it!" but I would if I could. Terrific John - a beauty for sure. I was on the phone with John on Friday and he said he was "working" on a PK, I assumed it was a few weeks down the line, not 48 hours! My GW eal brown Aero has the same amazing look (but w/ new HH)

Folks, its pretty tricky to photograph A-2's especially ones that have some shine to them (like SO many originals). Go to John's site and look at the photos of him wearing the jackets - outside, Ties recent thread has a few photos of he and John, etc. wearing these jackets outdoors and they look great (new HH). John's indoor shots are meant to show all of the details. His current HH is being milled as close to 1940's leather as possible. He is able to be very specific with the tannery. Some, I guess may not care for this leather but it seems to be the closest to NOS leather of any manufacterer. I think its pretty spot on. "Cardboard look" - not really sure what that means exactly but to each his own. After decades of collecting, these are real "clones" of originals to me. Again, go to the GW site and look at the outdoor photos (the one's with John wearing the jackets). Make sure its the new HH. I for one would not buy anything else but again, I agree that its OK to have a different view. Just to clarify, this PK is Vermont Espresso but still looks very cool. The new HH is even better

A

Anonymous

I think personally that the look of the hide is as subjective as preferences for a particular type of collar or pocket shape or cut. The good thing is that for we, who spend way too much time looking at what 99.999% of the world's population would call the 'same jacket', can find one that makes us happy -albeit only for a while.

I'm more of a fan of JC's goat hides myself - just my preference for look and drape and colouring.

Paul, you are a very brave man ! :eek:

J_H

havocpaul

I know, run the risk of getting shot down in flames but I say what I see. Makes more sense that it is the old expresso hide rather than the new HH which as I said looks exellent. An accurate copy of a Poughkeepsie: certainly; just the leather I didn't like. I too prefer the look of the goatskin jackets and having owned an early 'test' goat a couple of years back I highly recommend them.

A

Anonymous

I KNOW what you're saying Paul. Just because you don't like the hide is not being critical of JC in the slightest. Or saying that it isn't a highly accurate copy. We wouldn't like the original either !

I'm a Doniger man at heart. That reminds me, where's my ELC Star in goat Mr Eastman ? I've been waiting over 8 weeks now ! :cry:

J_H

CBI

No one trashed you, just expressing views. "I don't like the hide", .......... "hey look at the outdoor photos for a possible more accurate view" This not going after anyone

I guess all is well now :D

A

Anonymous

I'm 'chilled' CBI. And I have a life too outside of jackets :D So, I'm sure does Paul.

Neither of us was feeling put upon on this thread and neither of us want it to be anything other than a thread following on from the original post.

I certainly agree with everything written thus far. (Apart from your post :lol: )

J_H

havocpaul

I wasn't getting at all stressed, makes me laugh as many times before a few folk here get touchy when an opinion out-of-synch is made. I have a life, pretty good this moment as I've just got back from an amazing one-off gig by the legend that is Jeff Beck and I was on the guest-list...rock'n'roll is a mighty buzz...and BTW, Jimmy Page and Ronnie Wood were in the audience and they have skin to match the hide we were discussing!!
So you got Gary to make a goat Star...that sounds neat.

blackrat2

Had the chance to speak to JC Friday and again yesterday (Monday) and got a chance to discuss this contract and a Star with him, as has been mentioned already he certainly put it together quickly.
To follow on, it is made with the Vermont HH which i believe JC coloured to match the original on his site. I have told him the jacket was being discussed on this site and with a little luck he may come online and explain the ins and outs of this new jacket.
With regards to the leather i have a Perry out of the same Vermont leather and i love the grain...it does get softer and doesnt remain "card boardy" and it does look better in the flesh as i am sure we would all agree.
It is really nice to see we all have different views on the various jackets out there, the leather and patina etc etc.
I did learn having spent years unable to mention the maker Poughkeepsie without getting tongue tied that it is pronounced Poughkipsy....thanks JC.
For my own learning curve how many contracts did Poughkeepsie have and does anyone know what zips they used on there original jackets.

Roughwear

I own an original Poughkeepsie in a size 44 and have owned several others. The firm was awarded just one contract in 1942. As regards zips all the ones I have seen have Talon zips.