• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW A-2 in 44“ on the bay.

mulceber

Is it confirmed that John doesn't offer the Aero label anymore? I'd been under the impression that his Aero labels were several years in the past, but 2019 is pretty recent.

Pilot

Is it confirmed that John doesn't offer the Aero label anymore? I'd been under the impression that his Aero labels were several years in the past, but 2019 is pretty recent.
My last info John is not allowed anymore, but Ken from Aero may chime in and confirm.
If this info is verified, Goodwear ( „real „, and not ACME ) Aero‘s are becoming not only rare and wanted, but very WANTED…just my opinion.. . and a bit verified recently :)
PS: I did not buy this one.

mulceber

Thanks for the confirmation. :) Surprising to hear that the Aero labels were available so recently. Mistaken assumptions on my part, I guess.

Pilot

477ED70D-7735-4116-86A5-40CB41DA8F8B.jpeg

one of mine from a very nice member here…

33-1729

Both trademarks containing the words “Aero Leather(s)” have been abandoned by their respective owner (Aero Leather Clothing Co was owned until 2012 by an Italian firm called FGF industry S.p.A. and Aero Leather Clo. Co was owned by Gary Eastman until 2003). Aero Leathers of Scotland never owned an “Aero Leather(s)” trademark.

dead_trademarks.JPG

mulceber

Interesting. So would that mean that, legally any company based in the United States could use the Aero label without paying royalties to Aero Scotland?

As an aside, I've often wondered how enforceable that trademark is (would have been?) anyway. If your label says "Aero, Beacon, NY," it's pretty clear you aren't making a knock-off of the jackets from Aero Scotland. And it's an historical reproduction to boot. It strikes me as the sort of thing a really sharp lawyer could argue. But then, it probably wouldn't be worth it to spend all that money going to court just to be able to use accurate spec labels.

Pilot

Both trademarks containing the words “Aero Leather(s)” have been abandoned by their respective owner (Aero Leather Clothing Co was owned until 2012 by an Italian firm called FGF industry S.p.A. and Aero Leather Clo. Co was owned by Gary Eastman until 2003). Aero Leathers of Scotland never owned an “Aero Leather(s)” trademark.

View attachment 64999
Thx for sharing, very interesting.
How about the rest of the world?
Edit: maybe Ken from Aero wants to chime in?

Last edited:

B-Man2

Haven’t seen Ken around here for a few weeks. I wonder what his perspective is on this information . Maybe he knows something we don’t .

mulceber

That's sort of my perspective on this as well. Ken's a savvy enough business man to have all his i's dotted and his t's crossed. And I'm sure at least a few of the repro makers in the US would have looked into the ins and outs of copyright law.

B-Man2

That's sort of my perspective on this as well. Ken's a savvy enough business man to have all his i's dotted and his t's crossed. And I'm sure at least a few of the repro makers in the US would have looked into the ins and outs of copyright law.
I’m pretty sure I remember a post wherein he said that at one point or another he had to insist that a company cease and desist from using the Aero name .

mulceber

Yeah, I do too - he told a story where Eastman was selling jackets with the Aero label under the table. Of course, that wouldn't be under US copyright law, but he may have similar stories about US companies.