• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW 20960 seal brown pictures

BTFLAT

hi guys,
i am for 14 months in the (so) long GW waiting list for a DUBOW 20960 seal brown (LHJ 103).I was trying to find on VLJ some pictures like "as received" ,"after one year " after two years" of this particular jacket but just didn't find any picture of.Is there an owner that would be nice enought to post some pics here or in the review section?
Thanks for your help!!

Jeff M

There is also the Good Wear photo archive site;

http://www.goodwearleather.com/photos/

Hard to choose a contract based on how an A2 looks on another person. Collar size in particular can look very different depending on how large a person is/how large their head is/how much hair they have. What may look great on one person may look like a clown collar on another. What looks "blousy" on one person may be just right on a larger torso'd person.
Re; "worn in" shots....I find it is the leather rather than the contract that "ages". No matter what the contract, a specific leather will age a certain way.
But.....as John has changed the leathers he uses over the years, you can't predict how a GW made today will age looking at a GW from one or two years ago....unless the jacket in the photo was made from a leather John is still offering.

My strategy when it comes to a new GW is to check out photos and talk to John to select a contract I think I will like.
See what leathers appeal to me in GW jacket photos. Check with John to see if he still carries them, or what he would recommend from his current offerings.
His leathers have continually improved over the years.

(FWIW, I have a jacket made from LHJ103 and it is one of my favorite leathers. I am planning on using it on my GW Dubow order.)

BTFLAT

Welcome to the forum. Ties70 has a GW Dubow 20960 and is seen wearing it in this post.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5080
Thanks Roughwear for your welcome.Reading the topic that you mentionned ,i have seen that Ties70,handworn and Tom James both had a 20960 seal brown back in summer 2009 (or at least was in line for) so I wrote a PM to each one of them so they can post some pictures of their jackets 4 years later (if they still own it) .

(FWIW, I have a jacket made from LHJ103 and it is one of my favorite leathers. I am planning on using it on my GW Dubow order.)
Jeff M,thanks for your experience.Would you post a picture of your LHJ103 now that you have worn it?I know it is not a 20960 but like you said it's more about the leather because i am really sure that i want the 20960 contract (collar,pocket flap and pocket place)

Thanks to all ;)

Jeff M

BTFLAT said:
Jeff M,thanks for your experience.Would you post a picture of your LHJ103 now that you have worn it?I know it is not a 20960 but like you said it's more about the leather because i am really sure that i want the 20960 contract (collar,pocket flap and pocket place)

Thanks to all ;)

Less than 6 months old, hasn't had a ton of wear, it was made by Superior Flight Apparel (Mark Fisher) who shares leather with Good Wear, and it's a variant of an A2....but here are some photos when brand new.

Jeff M

Mark did a wonderful job with it.
I think of it as a "classy" version of an A2. Works nice when I feel like wearing an A2 but the event calls for a bit more upscale dress, for instance a Sunday brunch at a mansion turned into a B&B;

Back to the leather....Mark and John occasionally share leather shipments.
Mark made this jacket from what John has designated his LHJ103 hide.
It has a very nice, soft hand, is neither heavy nor fragile in feel, and has very nice character to it. Neither too much not too little grain.
I expect it to age beautifully.
The picture above with the jacket on the dress makers dummy shows the leather nicely.

BTFLAT

many thanks Jeff for your long answer & pictures.The leather is splendid and i hope mine will be as beautifull as yours!!
Congrats for your jacket!!

Smithy

Have to agree with the others Jeff, that is just a stunning, stunning jacket. Mark really is one talented chap and it's been great watching the evolution from his first beginnings around 6 years ago at the FL and here to his work now.

He deserves to really do well and I'm looking forward to the new Norshor site when it's up and doing.

Jeff M

Smithy said:
Have to agree with the others Jeff, that is just a stunning, stunning jacket. Mark really is one talented chap and it's been great watching the evolution from his first beginnings around 6 years ago at the FL and here to his work now.

He deserves to really do well and I'm looking forward to the new Norshor site when it's up and doing.

Have to agree with you. Mark is a very talented chap and will hopefully end up doing well.
He doesn't get as much "air time" here and over at The Fedora Lounge as some of the other makers, in large part because he doesn't self promote. His jackets however are first class.