• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great find on a WWII ANJ3!

When I was in Virginia City, NV I walked into an antique store and spotted what looked like a vintage leather flight jacket all the way in the back of the store. As I got closer I saw the tag that said original WWII flight jacket. It looked like an A-2 with button pockets instead of snaps. When I picked it up and turned it around to look at the back I thought "Holey crap! It's an ANJ3!" Needless to say I bought it in a heartbeat! I found out the story on the pilot it was issued to. The store owner said the pilot's grand son is selling it. All I could get out of him was he flew twin engine bombers. He was shot down 3 times. One time he and his crew spent 57days in the water! The copilot died and they cannibalized him to survive. He was later court marshaled for cannibalizing but was cleared of it. Another time he was shot down he spent 13 days in the water. On that shoot down he was actually wearing this jacket according to his grand son. He wrote down the pilots name but is is really hard to read his writing. it looks like, Dell Ashbremer. I can't find anything on him. I need to get a hold of the grand son and verify the spelling. He was a Native American. I'm going to keep researching it.

The jacket looks pretty good. No label, of course! It looks like it was relined a long time ago. The lining looks old but the stitching is shabby. The goatskin is in good shape. Cuffs are bad. Waist looks like it was replaced. My guess is a size 42. Too small for me.

IMAG0550-L.jpg

IMG1257-L.jpg

IMG1259-L.jpg

IMAG0545-L.jpg

Dr H

Probably too small for me if a 42 (assuming Bill would want to sell), but worth a PM.
My AN-J-3 is now on the market.

OK, here's the measurements,

pit to pit across the back is 22"
sleeves not counting cuffs 21"
back not counting waistband 21"

Peter Graham said:
If it's too small, let it go. What's the point ? Are you still at the speedway Bill ?
Peter, I finally quit racing Speedway because I'm too old and out of shape, but I race my Harley Sportster on the Speedway track every Harley Night a few times a year. I still need to get my racing fix every now and then!

Dr H

Yup, looks like a 42 alright.
Probably a similar fit to my Doni AN-J-3 - fitting arms and upper torso OK, but perhaps a bit snug elsewhere.
:roll:
Lovely jacket, good find Bill! :mrgreen:

I'll probably sell it eventually since it will never fit me, but first I want to research the pilot that wore it in WWII. Sounds like a fascinating story!

Peter Graham

sealbeachbum said:
I race my Harley Sportster on the Speedway track every Harley Night a few times a year. I still need to get my racing fix every now and then!

Good man. Things like that remind us that we're still alive. That jacket sounds like a fascinating research project. Keep us posted on anything you find out.

Sorry for straying off topic but here's a picture of me racing my Sportster Peter. I'm the one in the Evil Knievel leathers. The Sportster is a lot easier for this old guy to handle than the JAWA Speedway Bike!

WildBill-2-L.jpg

Anyway, still researching the pilot. I will keep you guys posted and let you know when I'm ready to sell the jacket.