• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GRAINIAC

dbtk44

Grainiac (GrAn-EE-akk) - A person posessing an unhealthy obsession with the leather grain of a jacket, specifically vintage A2 flight jackets. A connoisseur of American made vodka.

So yeah...I'm an admitted Grainiac. The leather, not the vodka. Ok, maybe sometimes.

Anyway, Picked up a loosely "A2 style" jacket a number of years ago at a thrift store for not much $$. Sad to say it's an 80s-90s "mall jacket" cut, so it fits like a rain poncho. the previous owner obviously used it whilst painting, because it had latex splatter ALL over the place. But the grain just grabbed me. I've used it to experiment a bit with dyes and conditioners, basically because while it's comfortable...it's almost shaped like a "T" and just doesn't look good wearing It. I may experiment a bit with tailoring it, or re-line it isheepskin or synthetic fur or...who knows. If I screw it up, no big loss.

But, it's got some very nice grain patters thru ought, and I just can't relegate it to the dumpster. Just kinda sad to see so much character in a jacket that is such a crappy cut!

Couple quick pics...

20230622_075636.jpg
20230622_075655.jpg
20230622_075742.jpg

dbtk44

Also, I've used it to experiment with getting deep creases out of leather jackets. As is apparent, the results haven't been stellar....but, it's better than it was.