• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a new A-2 from ELC to try on

Rutger

Ok, this is my second A-2. The first one in 42 was too tight, couldn't reach out to adjust the radio in the car.
So I gambled at getting the size 44 re-issue Rough Wear that ELC still had left.
This is alround more roomy and thus more comfy, but since I'm not quite sure how these jackets will change in time I need some opinions on whether the fit is as it should be and what's going to happen over the months to come. I feel it is a bit too large in the shoulders, but if that can be adjusted with HWT I would appreciate to be informed so and then I'm fine with it.

Anyway, here I am.

A2_8.jpg

A2_7.jpg

A2_6.jpg

A2_5.jpg

A2_2.jpg

A2_1.jpg

A2_9.jpg

A2_4.jpg

dujardin

hellooooooooo

congratssss

she looks good on you, the fit seem to be perfect

enjoy the wearrrrrrrrrr

dmar836

You might have room for HWT but consider that during the war you could have either the 42 or the 44. Different contracts fit differently BUT you wouldn't likely have the choice other than trading with the other cadets. Based on the fact you have tried both sizes, what would you have picked?
In my limited experience, as the sleeves wrinkle, they effectively get a bit shorter. The fullness in the back might be a good thing for reaching the radio and might fit better when zipped.
JMO,
Dave

HHjackets

i think it's a bit large too, first and second photo, i was going it looks ok, third photo and i said, it looks like one i had years ago. you would be happier with the 42 in the long run.
i think you should have kept the 42 and got a remote control for the radio instead! :cool:

dmar836

But I can relate to a jacket being just a bit too small and he's not happy with that next size down - a 42. Then again he might also have unrealistic expectations from a jacket that actually fits. It takes a while to get used to clothing fitting like it did 65 yrs ago. Your only choices might be to either go small or this more full look.
My ELC is fine in the body but could use and extra 3/4" on the sleeves. It is about as aggravating as it gets.
Rutger, I would love to be in the same position and HWT it! Just make sure you have time to wear it while it dries.
JMO,
Dave

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dmar836 said:
But I can relate to a jacket being just a bit too small and he's not happy with that next size down - a 42. Then again he might also have unrealistic expectations from a jacket that actually fits. It takes a while to get used to clothing fitting like it did 65 yrs ago ...

Exactly ... as has been said before on the forum, a new A-2 is like wearing a suitcase.

Also, if you have trouble reaching, try zipping the jacket right up to the neck. It's surprising ... suddenly freedom.

Tim P

Yet again we are applying bespoke tailoring standards to a piece of work clothing.
this obsession with wearing A2s as they were worn overlooks the fact that they were worn with GI flight and service dress clothing....
whilst I accept that the eample in this thread is a generous fit, that jacket will allow room for layering and will provide comfort.

Dr H

I agree with Tim. Zipped, the jackets fits well, doesn't blouse and will be comfortable in everyday use.

Rutger

Ok, now I wonder if HWT will get it to 43 entirely, including (most importantly) shoulders and back?
I read somewhere that ELC jackets don't shrink that much.

I'm also considering having the shoulders made a bit narrower by ELC, but that would still leave me with the back.

The 42 Werber would fit me snug with a only a t-shirt under it and standing up, but I wear a sweater most of the time, and from what I have been able to find out leather jackets tend to shrink in the long run, rather than stretching up.

I'm aware of the risks of buying on line and off the shelf. My guess is that a Werber 44 would have been like a 43 or even 42 Rough Wear.

Rutger

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Rutger said:
... My guess is that a Werber 44 would have been like a 43 or even 42 Rough Wear.

Yes, going with a different contact might be the best solution. I went to RMNZ to buy a Rough Wear ... 42 too small, 44 too large.

... 42 Dubow perfect. :cool:

Dr H

Radical suggestion...

ELC A-1 (44) - will be lighter to allow some layering, longer in the body, roomy torso without blousing - buttoned so you can open top and bottom to drive.

Sorry, my new mission to get everybody wearing them, but it's an ace jacket and as much as I like the A-2 more useable in everyday situations.

Just MHO

Jaguar46

My ELC Roughwear droops over my shoulders a bit, yours a bit more than mine. If the length of the jacket, the sleeve length and the chest and torso are acceptable, then I would chalk it up to the style of the contract. Mine did not draw up that much, if any, using HWT, including a stint in the dryer. The shoulders would not draw up as much as the length of jacket, sleeves or chest does anyway. You could do the sleeves with some water, wear it, to get the creases in the elbows, and the sleeves would probably be fine.

Otherwise you would be better off with a different contract.

Persimmon

Dr H said:
Radical suggestion...

ELC A-1 (44) - will be lighter to allow some layering, longer in the body, roomy torso without blousing - buttoned so you can open top and bottom to drive.

Sorry, my new mission to get everybody wearing them, but it's an ace jacket and as much as I like the A-2 more useable in everyday situations.

Just MHO

Ian,
I am only wearing the A1 at the moment so I have to agree.
And the recent good weather we are having is more waistcoat (A1) wearing material than an A2 jacket only adds to that sentiment.

With regard to the A2 in question it does look a shade to big and the front when zipped is suggesting that slightly fuller stomach look.

I know from a recent purchase and subsequently sad move on of a wonderful A2 Perry its not the best look.
If the 42 is to small and the 44 too large in this RW contract if its available to put back in the box and return then thats the way I would go and order another contract in a size 42

Dr H

Oh Alan, you had to mention the Perry...just when I'd managed to put it behind me and move on...:'-(

;-)

shiloh

Hi Rutger,

the fit seems perfect. During the war the A-2 jackets were often snug fit but I have several pics in books where you can see they wore the jackets quite roomy and even wear sweaters underneath it. But they also wore the trousers up to their belly belts. So some things changed over 70 years. I own several A-2 jackets and wear several sizes. For the summer I wear a size smaller (with yust a t-shirt) than the ones I wear during the winter and autumn, with an A-1 mechanics sweater underneath. So IMO the best size is how you like to wear it. Snug fit seems genuine to 2nd world war but can be very unpleasant if it will restrict you in moving you arms. I like the way your jacket fits on the pics.

BTW, I live in Holland too, near Arnhem and was just a second too late to buy your ELC Werber.

regards,

shiloh

Rutger

shiloh said:
Hi Rutger,

the fit seems perfect. During the war the A-2 jackets were often snug fit but I have several pics in books where you can see they wore the jackets quite roomy and even wear sweaters underneath it. But they also wore the trousers up to their belly belts. So some things changed over 70 years. I own several A-2 jackets and wear several sizes. For the summer I wear a size smaller (with yust a t-shirt) than the ones I wear during the winter and autumn, with an A-1 mechanics sweater underneath. So IMO the best size is how you like to wear it. Snug fit seems genuine to 2nd world war but can be very unpleasant if it will restrict you in moving you arms. I like the way your jacket fits on the pics.

BTW, I live in Holland too, near Arnhem and was just a second too late to buy your ELC Werber.

regards,

shiloh

Well Shiloh sorry to hear so about the Werber, I could have brought it! On the other hand: if you ever consider selling one, let me know, then I'd finally be able to actually fit one before spending a lot of money on it ;) .